Neurology has Oliver Sacks, nature has Annie Dillard, and the lucky animal world has Temple Grandin, a master intermediary between humans and our fellow beasts (and the foremost designer of humane slaughterhouses). In Animals in Translation, with co-writer Catherine Johnson, Grandin argues that her autism enables her to understand how animals think more intuitively than humans with ”normal” functioning frontal lobes. At once hilarious (a parrot who loses patience with his trainer), fascinating (a horse with a phobia of black hats), and just plain weird (rapist roosters, sadistic killer whales), Animals is one of those rare books that elicits a ”wow” on almost every page. The only weakness: a poorly edited, repetitive first chapter that’s no reflection on the rest of this phenomenal book.
Animals in Translation Neurology has Oliver Sacks, nature has Annie Dillard, and the lucky animal world has Temple Grandin, a master intermediary between humans and our...Animals in TranslationNonfictionTemple Grandin, Catherine Johnson Neurology has Oliver Sacks, nature has Annie Dillard, and the lucky animal world has Temple Grandin, a master intermediary between humans and our...2004-12-22Scribner
Genre: Nonfiction; Author: Temple Grandin, Catherine Johnson; Publisher: Scribner
Posted December 22 2004 — 12:00 AM EST
- See Bill Nye read mean tweets about himself
- 'Days of Our Lives' exclusive: 50th anniversary to feature a killer twist
- Cara Delevingne laughs off that awkward 'Paper Towns' interview on Instagram
- Bruce Springsteen was the surprise guest at U2's latest concert
- What are the critics saying about 'Rogue Nation'?
- 'Descendants' react: What did you think?
- Andre 3000 joins ABC's 'American Crime'
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Michael & Kate, Michelle Rodriguez, Joss Stone and More!