There’s a precice moment in Before Sunset — the masterpiece sequel to 1995’s Before Sunrise — when the film transforms into a classic screen romance. Midway through the movie, Ethan Hawke’s Jesse and Julie Delpy’s Celine are on a boat on the Seine, nine years after she missed their planned rendezvous in Austria. ”Ohhh God! Why weren’t you there in Vienna?” Jesse suddenly groans, finally cracking through the getting-to-know-you-again chitchat and shooting Delpy an unexpectedly angry sidelong look. ”I wish you woulda been — our lives mighta been so much different.” From there on, the conversation cuts into a plumper vein of confession, regret, and comedy, culminating in an out-of-nowhere last scene that’s just about the most powerful, perfect movie ending since Chief Bromden busted out of the asylum in One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest. ”The whole goal,” says Delpy, 35, ”is to have the feeling that you’re peeling an onion emotionally.” Steadily notching up the intimacy as Jesse and Celine’s day rolls on, Hawke and Delpy are subtle yet virtuosic; the actors make it look too easy. ”It’s clear that people think it’s me being myself,” says Hawke, 34, a woefully underrated actor. ”I try to take that as a compliment.” Here’s another: Sunset, electrically wise and affecting, is a triumph for its hardworking actors. And for movie love!
Posted December 27 2004 — 12:00 AM EST
- Read your way through New Orleans
- The 50 Most Watched Broadcast Shows of 2014-15
- Extreme Fan Club with Chris Pratt -- exclusive video
- EW's definitive ranking of the top 10 'Pac-Man' ghosts
- Funeral for slain New York rapper will be held next week
- What to binge-watch: Memorial Day marathon edition
- Pac-Man turns 35: Looking back on three-plus decades of video games, pop culture, and cereal
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion (so far)
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 10 hottest tours
- Melissa McCarthy: Did you know she was in...?
- George Clooney, Meghan Trainor, Pharrell & Zoë and More!