Nothing says success like having your catchphrase shouted at you by adoring fans — no matter how profane or out of context it may be. ”I’m here in New York doing [Neil LaBute’s play Fat Pig] and people are screaming, ‘Hug it out, bitch!”’ laughs Jeremy Piven, who portrays cutthroat Hollywood agent Ari Gold on HBO’s comedy Entourage. ”People remembered a line I improvised a year ago. I dig it.” Indeed, the show’s Sex and the City-with-dudes setup (and slimy L.A. insider-ism) is most memorable when the focus is on Gold. Piven, who’s played a number of ”acerbic types,” from PCU’s supersenior Droz Andrews to Grosse Pointe Blank’s suburban shlub Paul Spericki, admits, ”I’ve never played a guy in a position of power like this.” His TV credits include a supporting role on Ellen and the 1998 dramedy Cupid that was beloved by viewers, but lasted only five months. Even though he’s now freestyling quips with guests like Sarah Silverman and outshining handsome, younger costars Adrian Grenier and Kevin Connolly, Piven, 39, still thinks like a grunt in the trenches. ”I’ve been around, so I’ve learned not to get my hopes up,”he says, recalling his first movie role, in which he was billed behind Corey Haim. ”When I was 19 and did Lucas, I thought, ‘Goddamn, I’m going to blow up.’ I’m not that guy anymore.”
Posted December 27 2004 — 12:00 AM EST
- A$AP Rocky's 'At.Long.Last.A$AP' to drop at midnight
- Even Taylor Swift's mom thought it was 'Starbucks lovers'
- Two of B.B. King's daughters allege father was poisoned by employees
- Hear Icona Pop's new single 'Emergency'
- 'It' on hold; director Cary Fukunaga exits
- 'Jurassic World' director Colin Trevorrow dishes on deadly new dino Indominus Rex
- Drake: 'Madonna' out, 'Rihanna' in?
- 15 scary movies we saw as kids... that still haunt our nightmares
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Christina & Matt, Kendall Jenner, Jordin Sparks & More!