Nothing says success like having your catchphrase shouted at you by adoring fans — no matter how profane or out of context it may be. ”I’m here in New York doing [Neil LaBute’s play Fat Pig] and people are screaming, ‘Hug it out, bitch!”’ laughs Jeremy Piven, who portrays cutthroat Hollywood agent Ari Gold on HBO’s comedy Entourage. ”People remembered a line I improvised a year ago. I dig it.” Indeed, the show’s Sex and the City-with-dudes setup (and slimy L.A. insider-ism) is most memorable when the focus is on Gold. Piven, who’s played a number of ”acerbic types,” from PCU’s supersenior Droz Andrews to Grosse Pointe Blank’s suburban shlub Paul Spericki, admits, ”I’ve never played a guy in a position of power like this.” His TV credits include a supporting role on Ellen and the 1998 dramedy Cupid that was beloved by viewers, but lasted only five months. Even though he’s now freestyling quips with guests like Sarah Silverman and outshining handsome, younger costars Adrian Grenier and Kevin Connolly, Piven, 39, still thinks like a grunt in the trenches. ”I’ve been around, so I’ve learned not to get my hopes up,”he says, recalling his first movie role, in which he was billed behind Corey Haim. ”When I was 19 and did Lucas, I thought, ‘Goddamn, I’m going to blow up.’ I’m not that guy anymore.”
Posted January 17 2015 — 6:16 AM EST
- Penultimate Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Art of Evolution sets the stage for an intense finale
- Who said it: Tony Stark or Robert Downey Jr.?
- Paul Giamatti is anti-dildo in 'Inside Amy Schumer' clip
- Manny Pacquiao being sued for failure to disclose injury ahead of Floyd Mayweather Jr. fight
- Reese Witherspoon and Aidy Bryant almost run away together twice in ‘SNL’ promo
- Nathan Lane sings tribute to David Letterman on ‘Late Show’
- 'The Royals' exclusive clip: Prince Liam drunk sings a Disney song
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Taylor Swift, Cate Blanchett, James Marsden & More!