Nothing says success like having your catchphrase shouted at you by adoring fans — no matter how profane or out of context it may be. ”I’m here in New York doing [Neil LaBute’s play Fat Pig] and people are screaming, ‘Hug it out, bitch!”’ laughs Jeremy Piven, who portrays cutthroat Hollywood agent Ari Gold on HBO’s comedy Entourage. ”People remembered a line I improvised a year ago. I dig it.” Indeed, the show’s Sex and the City-with-dudes setup (and slimy L.A. insider-ism) is most memorable when the focus is on Gold. Piven, who’s played a number of ”acerbic types,” from PCU’s supersenior Droz Andrews to Grosse Pointe Blank’s suburban shlub Paul Spericki, admits, ”I’ve never played a guy in a position of power like this.” His TV credits include a supporting role on Ellen and the 1998 dramedy Cupid that was beloved by viewers, but lasted only five months. Even though he’s now freestyling quips with guests like Sarah Silverman and outshining handsome, younger costars Adrian Grenier and Kevin Connolly, Piven, 39, still thinks like a grunt in the trenches. ”I’ve been around, so I’ve learned not to get my hopes up,”he says, recalling his first movie role, in which he was billed behind Corey Haim. ”When I was 19 and did Lucas, I thought, ‘Goddamn, I’m going to blow up.’ I’m not that guy anymore.”
Posted December 27 2004 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Downton Abbey' cast on saying goodbye: 'We didn't want to leave'
- Zayn Malik congratulates One Direction on their ’sick’ new single
- Dr. Dre's new album, 'Compton,' coming Aug. 7
- 'Ghostbusters' cast surprises patients at Boston children's hospital
- Chris Pratt, James Gunn mark 'Guardians of the Galaxy's one-year anniversary
- Kelly Clarkson crushes cover of Miley Cyrus' ‘Wrecking Ball’
- Amy Schumer responds to open letter about Lafayette theater shooting
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- FKA Twigs, Adrian Grenier, Bethenny Frankel and More!