It was a busy season for Denis Leary on Rescue Me. He incited an on-ice brawl, had sex with his dead cousin’s widow, paid his godson to terrorize a man dating his estranged wife, and drank himself daffy while arguing with a ghost. ”I’m not a romantic comedy kind of guy,” he deadpans. ”As a filmgoer, it doesn’t interest me; as a writer, I can’t write that stuff. But I can write f—ed-up guys. I don’t know what that says about me.” Well, it says here that Leary possesses enough intensity and combustibility to inhabit his role as an agitated antihero on the first-year FX firefighting drama. In Tommy Gavin, Leary, 47, has created a character that hits hard and close to home (he lost a firefighter cousin to a 1999 blaze and several friends on 9/11). ”I’m not gonna say it’s easy…. It’s connected so deeply to things in my life, but also with friends that I based it on.” Doesn’t Leary worry about upsetting his blaze-battling buddies who don’t want the less flattering elements of their firehouses exposed? ”No, because I don’t give a f—.” And to think he says he’s not a romantic comedy kind of guy.
Posted December 27 2004 — 12:00 AM EST
- Stan Lee says 'Fantastic Four' flopped because he didn’t have a cameo
- Dean Jones, The Love Bug and That Darn Cat actor, dies at 84
- 'Wildest Dreams' director responds to allegations of colonialism in Taylor Swift video
- How the new Oscar producers plan to change the show (and make it shorter)
- 'Batmetal Returns' to cover Dethklok, and destroy some of your favorite cartoon characters
- Cute 10-year-old girl stymies NFL stars with great questions
- Ansel Elgort to star in '80s CIA drama 'Code Name Veil'
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- The A List Ladies, Jake Gyllenhaal, Anna & Jane and More!