It was a busy season for Denis Leary on Rescue Me. He incited an on-ice brawl, had sex with his dead cousin’s widow, paid his godson to terrorize a man dating his estranged wife, and drank himself daffy while arguing with a ghost. ”I’m not a romantic comedy kind of guy,” he deadpans. ”As a filmgoer, it doesn’t interest me; as a writer, I can’t write that stuff. But I can write f—ed-up guys. I don’t know what that says about me.” Well, it says here that Leary possesses enough intensity and combustibility to inhabit his role as an agitated antihero on the first-year FX firefighting drama. In Tommy Gavin, Leary, 47, has created a character that hits hard and close to home (he lost a firefighter cousin to a 1999 blaze and several friends on 9/11). ”I’m not gonna say it’s easy…. It’s connected so deeply to things in my life, but also with friends that I based it on.” Doesn’t Leary worry about upsetting his blaze-battling buddies who don’t want the less flattering elements of their firehouses exposed? ”No, because I don’t give a f—.” And to think he says he’s not a romantic comedy kind of guy.
Posted December 27 2004 — 12:00 AM EST
- George R.R. Martin reveals which religion inspired that 'Game of Thrones' cult
- How 50 Cent's near-fatal shooting wound up being a key part of 'Power'
- 'Game of Thrones' showrunner on why those two paths crossed now: 'this just felt right'
- 'Veep': What's next for Selina Meyer and Tom James
- Anne Meara, veteran actress and half of Stiller and Meara comedy team, dies at 85
- David Letterman tribute on Indy 500 car
- Cannes 2015: 'Dheepan' wins Palme d'Or
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- George & Amal, the Rock, Anne Hathaway & More!