Some actresses take a risk by signing on to an unglamorous role. Others do it with a high-profile nude scene. But Annette Bening has taken perhaps the biggest risk of all with Being Julia: She plays her age. As Julia Lambert, a British stage actress who’s supremely paranoid over her just-beginning-to-wane star status, Bening, 46, infuses the already juicy role with equal parts devilish humor and heartbreaking vulnerability. ”A number of women that I’ve talked to who are my age say there’s almost this ‘coming out,”’ she says. ”It’s like a second adolescence, except that you’re wiser. There’s a kind of rebirth and rejuvenation.” And thank God for that. After four years of virtual absence from the screen (appearing only as Kevin Costner’s love interest in 2003’s Open Range), Bening’s finally found a role that’s as worthy of her talents as her Oscar-nominated turn in American Beauty. She didn’t nab the trophy for her portrayal of Beauty’s tightly wound real estate agent, Carolyn Burnham, but she’ll no doubt find herself in the running for Best Actress for Julia, since she’s already won that honor from the National Board of Review and earned a Golden Globe nod. Not that anyone needs to tell Bening that this is the role of a lifetime: ”I remember reading it and just being knocked out, thinking, Are you kidding? Yeah!” Precisely our response.
Posted December 27 2004 — 12:00 AM EST
- New 'Downton Abbey' trailer previews final season
- 'Les Miserables' actor dies at 21
- Jackson family remembers Michael Jackson on his birthday
- Amal Clooney says Egyptian Al-Jazeera conviction 'sends a dangerous message'
- 5 best non-singles from Kanye West's 'Late Registration' on its 10th anniversary
- 'Supernatural': Jensen Ackles talks season 11's female big bad
- See the Foo Fighters rock out with Blues Traveler's John Popper
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Darius Rucker, Paris Hilton, Nick & Pharrell and More!