Humility never seemed to come naturally — or at all — to Fantasia ”My lips are big, but my talent is bigger” Barrino when she strutted onto the American Idol stage each week. But on April 14, the raspy-voiced divette decided she needed a makeover. ”At that point in the show, people were saying I was kind of arrogant and bold,” says Barrino, 20, who went on to win the competition. ”I needed a song I could go out with and humble myself.” Without a drip of attitude or even a pair of shoes, the Southern single mom sat down on the stage and belted out an emotional rendition of ”Summertime” that would have made George Gershwin weep with joy. No matter that Fantasia had never even heard of the Porgy and Bess classic until that week. ”When I chose it people were like, ‘Are you serious?”’ she recalls. ”But something about the song I just related to. And I never wanted to be like anyone else.” After a decent album debut (239,000 copies in week 1), the livin’ may be easy, but there’s still a bump on the road to superstardom. ”I want a freakin’ Range Rover sooooo bad,” she squeals. ”But what can I do? I don’t have a license.”
Posted January 17 2015 — 6:16 AM EST
- Jonathan Crombie, seen as Gilbert Blythe in 'Anne of Green Gables' films, dies at 48
- Johnny Kemp, 'Just Got Paid' singer, dies
- Star Wars Celebration: Jakku, BB-8 and other key takeaways about 'The Force Awakens'
- Two generations of heroes meet in new 'Star Wars Rebels' trailer
- Zayn Malik thanks One Direction at event
- Pixar's 'Inside Out' peek: Joy has a special job for Sadness on first day at a new school
- ACM Awards' host Luke Bryan on big stage spotlight: 'It's fun to have a touch of anxiety'
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Prince Harry, Christina Aguilera, Diane Kruger & More!