Do you think of Desperate Housewives, with its episodes of adultery, fire, pill-popping, and suicide, as a nighttime soap or a sitcom? Maybe both, but for Golden Globes purposes it’s strictly a comedy, just like such hard-to-categorize hour-long shows as Gilmore Girls or Ally McBeal. That’s how producers Touchstone Television submitted the show to the Hollywood Foreign Press Association, which gives out the Globes. Touchstone has also submitted all four of the Wisteria Lane leading ladies — Marcia Cross, Teri Hatcher, Felicity Huffman, and Eva Longoria — for Best Actress consideration. A Touchstone spokeswoman tells Variety that Housewives ”straddles both genres. We’re pretty much in the enviable position of being able to choose, and we’re going to do what’s best for the show.” In other words, the competition in the drama category is awfully heavy this year, including shows like fellow ABC hit Lost and a certain show about a desperate New Jersey housewife. ”It’s tougher to compete with strict dramas like The Sopranos,” the spokeswoman said. The show’s performance at January’s Globes could be a test run for next September’s Emmys, for which Housewives could still be submitted as a drama.
(Desperate Housewives: Peter "Hopper" Stone/ABC)
Posted January 17 2015 — 6:16 AM EST
- Casting Net: Courtney Love, Timothy Hutton, Giancarlo Esposito join James Franco's 'The Long Home'
- Nicki Minaj joins 'Barbershop 3' cast
- 'Forever' sneak peek: John Noble puts Henry to a test he nearly fails
- 'Late Show' sneak peek: President Obama, David Letterman make retirement plans
- 'The Flash': Iris confronts Barry with the truth
- Jada Pinkett Smith on Fish Mooney's fate as 'Gotham' wraps season 1
- Orlando Jones exits 'Sleepy Hollow'
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Britney Spears, Orlando Bloom, Solange & More!