Do you think of Desperate Housewives, with its episodes of adultery, fire, pill-popping, and suicide, as a nighttime soap or a sitcom? Maybe both, but for Golden Globes purposes it’s strictly a comedy, just like such hard-to-categorize hour-long shows as Gilmore Girls or Ally McBeal. That’s how producers Touchstone Television submitted the show to the Hollywood Foreign Press Association, which gives out the Globes. Touchstone has also submitted all four of the Wisteria Lane leading ladies — Marcia Cross, Teri Hatcher, Felicity Huffman, and Eva Longoria — for Best Actress consideration. A Touchstone spokeswoman tells Variety that Housewives ”straddles both genres. We’re pretty much in the enviable position of being able to choose, and we’re going to do what’s best for the show.” In other words, the competition in the drama category is awfully heavy this year, including shows like fellow ABC hit Lost and a certain show about a desperate New Jersey housewife. ”It’s tougher to compete with strict dramas like The Sopranos,” the spokeswoman said. The show’s performance at January’s Globes could be a test run for next September’s Emmys, for which Housewives could still be submitted as a drama.
(Desperate Housewives: Peter "Hopper" Stone/ABC)
Posted January 17 2015 — 6:16 AM EST
- '12 Monkeys' exec producer: THAT Ramse arc 'planned from the first minute'
- Prince sued in recording battle over 'Voice' singer Judith Hill
- James Bond enters a 'hurricane' in first 'Spectre' teaser
- 'Legend of Zelda' for Wii U delayed
- Kit Harington fights terrorism in 'Spooks: The Greater Good' trailer
- Billie Joe Armstrong musical 'These Paper Bullets!' coming to LA, NYC
- 'It Follows': The story behind the score
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- Patricia Field on 5 costume gigs before she got 'Younger'
- Jimmy Fallon, Liv Tyler, Emilia Clarke & More!