For the jaded adult, there’s something casually terrifying about Racing Stripes. The kids in my theater were unfazed, cheering on plucky zebra Stripes (sullenly voiced by Frankie Muniz) as he overcomes thoroughbred prejudice to compete in the ”Kentucky Open.” Yup, it’s a ”race” picture — but there are good reasons why zebras and horses don’t mix on the track (unbridgeable size and speed differentials come to mind), and no amount of CGI can disguise them. So what disturbed me? Was it the manic poo humor? The dead-eyed charmlessness of the creatures (voiced by Snoop Dogg and, it seems, whoever wasn’t busy with a relaunch of Celebrity Mole)? The gratingly referential sub-Shrek script? No, it was the Shetland pony, which sports both Dustin Hoffman’s pipes and his I Heart Huckabees toupee, and will haunt my nightmares forever.
Starring: Bruce Greenwood, Frankie Muniz, Hayden Panettiere; Starring: Jeff Foxworthy, Whoopi Goldberg, Dustin Hoffman, Mandy Moore; Release Date Wide: 01/14/2005; Runtime (in minutes): 97; MPAA Rating: PG; Distributor: Warner Bros.
Posted January 12 2005 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Star Wars' to screen in China for first time ever
- Art Garfunkel dings Paul Simon in new interview
- Dust off your crayons: Adult coloring books are here
- Sarah Michelle Gellar and Alyson Hannigan had a 'Buffy' reunion
- Chris Pratt on being a sex symbol: 'Before, I was the sweaty guy who didn't give a s---'
- Munich Film Festival to honor Alexander Payne with retrospective
- George R.R. Martin reveals which religion inspired that 'Game of Thrones' cult
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- George & Amal, the Rock, Anne Hathaway & More!