For the jaded adult, there’s something casually terrifying about Racing Stripes. The kids in my theater were unfazed, cheering on plucky zebra Stripes (sullenly voiced by Frankie Muniz) as he overcomes thoroughbred prejudice to compete in the ”Kentucky Open.” Yup, it’s a ”race” picture — but there are good reasons why zebras and horses don’t mix on the track (unbridgeable size and speed differentials come to mind), and no amount of CGI can disguise them. So what disturbed me? Was it the manic poo humor? The dead-eyed charmlessness of the creatures (voiced by Snoop Dogg and, it seems, whoever wasn’t busy with a relaunch of Celebrity Mole)? The gratingly referential sub-Shrek script? No, it was the Shetland pony, which sports both Dustin Hoffman’s pipes and his I Heart Huckabees toupee, and will haunt my nightmares forever.
Starring: Bruce Greenwood, Frankie Muniz, Hayden Panettiere; Starring: Jeff Foxworthy, Whoopi Goldberg, Dustin Hoffman, Mandy Moore; Release Date Wide: 01/14/2005; Runtime (in minutes): 97; MPAA Rating: PG; Distributor: Warner Bros.
Posted January 12 2005 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Nice Guys' Ryan Gosling, Russell Crowe go retro in '70s-style trailer
- 'Grey's Anatomy' star reacts to Stephanie's cold move
- Simon Cowell goes Hannibal Lecter in 'America's Got Talent' promo
- Police looking at possible drug OD in Prince's death, report says
- Penelope Cruz to star in reinvention drama 'Layover'
- 'The Catch' lands 'Happy Endings,' 'Army Wives' stars
- What to Watch Thursday: 'Lip Sync Battle' stages a 'Community' reunion