In the Realms of the Unreal is a singular and haunting experience. It’s a documentary that animates, in every sense, the mysterious world of Henry Darger, an impoverished recluse who spent years living in a dingy cramped room in Chicago. Upon his death in 1973, it was discovered that this muttery old man, who was possibly a functioning schizophrenic, had left behind a novel of 15,000 pages illustrated by 300 paintings of beautiful and astonishing weirdness. As you watch, Henry Darger emerges as the epic poet of outsider art. His novel, the Tolkienesque chronicle of a thunderous religious war, is saturated with Catholic pain and transcendence, and so are his drawings, which director Jessica Yu infuses with delicate movement (think Yellow Submarine as painted by Toulouse-Lautrec). They feature obsessive images of angelic little girls, often naked, who are never seen as anything but soldiers of God.
In the Realms of the UnrealIn the Realms of the Unreal is a singular and haunting experience. It's a documentary that animates, in every sense, the mysterious world...In the Realms of the UnrealJessica YuPT82MIn the Realms of the Unreal is a singular and haunting experience. It's a documentary that animates, in every sense, the mysterious world...2005-01-13Wellspring
Starring: Dakota Fanning; Director: Jessica Yu; Author: Jessica Yu; Runtime (in minutes): 82; Distributor: Wellspring
Posted January 13 2005 — 12:00 AM EST
- George R.R. Martin reveals which religion inspired that 'Game of Thrones' cult
- How 50 Cent's near-fatal shooting wound up being a key part of 'Power'
- 'Game of Thrones' showrunner on why those two paths crossed now: 'this just felt right'
- 'Veep': What's next for Selina Meyer and Tom James
- Anne Meara, veteran actress and half of Stiller and Meara comedy team, dies at 85
- David Letterman tribute on Indy 500 car
- Cannes 2015: 'Dheepan' wins Palme d'Or
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- George & Amal, the Rock, Anne Hathaway & More!