Not vulgar enough. Andrew Lloyd Webber’s horror operetta looks expensive, but it’s been filmed without decadent atmosphere or visual flow. Emmy Rossum has an unforced sweetness, but Gerard Butler, as the Phantom, sings like a Meat Loaf stuffed with too much garlic.
Genre: Romance, Drama, Musical; Starring: Gerard Butler, Emmy Rossum, Simon Callow, Minnie Driver, Miranda Richardson, Patrick Wilson; Director: Joel Schumacher; Author: Joel Schumacher; Producer (person): Andrew Lloyd Webber; Release Date Limited: 12/22/2004; Release Date Wide: 01/21/2005; Runtime (in minutes): 143; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Warner Bros.
Posted January 17 2005 — 12:00 AM EST
- Chris Rock announces first stand-up tour in 9 years
- 'Transformers: The Last Knight' trailer: Humans and Transformers face off
- George R.R. Martin on 'Winds of Winter': 'Things are getting worse'
- 'Green Hornet' star Van Williams dies at 82
- 'Baywatch' is hitting the beach on Memorial Day weekend
- Beyoncé was already a star at age 10, unearthed footage proves
- See Madonna twerk to 'Bitch I'm Madonna' on Carpool Karaoke
- The 11 Most Prolific TV Holiday Movie Actors
- Go Behind the Scenes of EW's Chrissy Teigen Photoshoot
- The 'Office Christmas Party' Cast Decks the Halls With Merry Mayhem
- The Best Gifts For 'Gilmore Girls' Fans
- See Exclusive Photos From Star-Studded Performances of 'Oh, Hello'
- 35 Photos of Britney Spears For Her 35th Birthday