Not vulgar enough. Andrew Lloyd Webber’s horror operetta looks expensive, but it’s been filmed without decadent atmosphere or visual flow. Emmy Rossum has an unforced sweetness, but Gerard Butler, as the Phantom, sings like a Meat Loaf stuffed with too much garlic.
Genre: Romance, Drama, Musical; Starring: Gerard Butler, Emmy Rossum, Simon Callow, Minnie Driver, Miranda Richardson, Patrick Wilson; Director: Joel Schumacher; Author: Joel Schumacher; Producer (person): Andrew Lloyd Webber; Release Date Limited: 12/22/2004; Release Date Wide: 01/21/2005; Runtime (in minutes): 143; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Warner Bros.
Posted January 17 2005 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'HTGAWM' star on Michaela's 'fractured' relationship with mom
- Gordon Ramsay rails against the five worst Halloween treats
- NFL star Richard Sherman dressed as Harry Potter
- Celebrities wish Hillary Clinton a happy birthday
- WATCH: Ruth Wilson on 'I Am the Pretty Thing That Lives in the House'
- WATCH: Werner Herzog got special permits to shoot volcano doc in North Korea
- 'Star Trek' TV series losing Bryan Fuller as showrunner
- The 16 Best Halloween Movies to Stream Right Now
- Hillary Clinton Through The Years
- 'Hamilton' Stars Go Old-School for Vintage Portraits
- 'The Walking Dead': Exclusive Season Premiere Storyboards
- 'Gilmore Girls' Trailer: A Deep Dive Into the Return to Stars Hollow
- 15 Ultimate Halloween Movie Picks, From Horror-Loving Actors and Filmmakers