Not vulgar enough. Andrew Lloyd Webber’s horror operetta looks expensive, but it’s been filmed without decadent atmosphere or visual flow. Emmy Rossum has an unforced sweetness, but Gerard Butler, as the Phantom, sings like a Meat Loaf stuffed with too much garlic.
Genre: Romance, Drama, Musical; Starring: Gerard Butler, Emmy Rossum, Simon Callow, Minnie Driver, Miranda Richardson, Patrick Wilson; Director: Joel Schumacher; Author: Joel Schumacher; Producer (person): Andrew Lloyd Webber; Release Date Wide: 01/21/2005; Runtime (in minutes): 143; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Warner Bros.
Posted January 17 2005 — 12:00 AM EST
- Ed Sheeran breaks out his British red coat for Taylor Swift’s Fourth of July party
- Billy Joel's surprise July 4 wedding
- Penn & Teller reveal the craziest tricks from their upcoming Broadway show
- Kelly Rowland at Essence Fest previews BET series to find next great girl group
- The Nathan's Hot Dog Eating contest crowned a new champion on July 4
- Michael Douglas' mother dies at 92
- Hello Kitty movie targeted for 2019
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Garcelle Beauvais, Kylie Jenner, Serena Williams & More!