A poor, plucky young woman (Reese Witherspoon) sets out, with nothing but confidence and her charming smile, to better her life in an early-19th-century England flush with wealth and exotic influence from colonial India. Director Mira Nair (Monsoon Wedding) adorns Thackeray’s novel about Becky Sharp, who manipulates her way into Britain’s upper crust, with rich sets and costumes and an appealing cast (especially James Purefoy as Becky’s one true love). But the effort to turn Witherspoon’s Sharp from Thackeray’s ruthless schemer into a likable ”modern feminist character” (as Witherspoon mentions in one making-of doc) renders the visually sumptuous Fair hardly more substantial than a Pretty Woman swathed in silk. EXTRAS ”The Women Behind Vanity Fair” is a celebration of the largely female cast and crew: ”When you’re in a situation…only women can understand,” gushes Witherspoon, ”it’s nice to be around a female director and…female producers.” Seven deleted scenes include a heavy-handed alternate ending, and in her honey-smooth audio commentary, Nair explains that she cast Gabriel Byrne as the dark Marquess of Steyne because she loves the mystery of his face: ”He brought a soul to an otherwise soulless character.”
(Vanity Fair: Frank Connor)
Genre: Drama; Starring: Reese Witherspoon, Eileen Atkins, Jim Broadbent, Gabriel Byrne, Bob Hoskins, Rhys Ifans, Jonathan Rhys Meyers, James Purefoy; Director: Mira Nair; Author: Julian Fellowes; Release Date Wide: 09/01/2004; Runtime (in minutes): 141; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Focus Features
Posted January 17 2015 — 6:16 AM EST
- 'Furious 7' holds off 'Paul Blart' to win box office for third weekend in a row
- Victoria Justice breaks news to fans on Twitter: 'Eye Candy' canceled by MTV
- Jon Stewart explains why he quit 'The Daily Show'
- Jason Sudeikis on present (two Tribeca films), past ('SNL'), and future ('Fletch'?)
- 'Outlander' boss on Geillis reveal, Claire's shocking choice
- 'Orphan Black' creators on series' sexy, surreal return
- Tatiana Maslany on 'Orphan Black' dream sequence
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Prince Harry, Christina Aguilera, Diane Kruger & More!