A poor, plucky young woman (Reese Witherspoon) sets out, with nothing but confidence and her charming smile, to better her life in an early-19th-century England flush with wealth and exotic influence from colonial India. Director Mira Nair (Monsoon Wedding) adorns Thackeray’s novel about Becky Sharp, who manipulates her way into Britain’s upper crust, with rich sets and costumes and an appealing cast (especially James Purefoy as Becky’s one true love). But the effort to turn Witherspoon’s Sharp from Thackeray’s ruthless schemer into a likable ”modern feminist character” (as Witherspoon mentions in one making-of doc) renders the visually sumptuous Fair hardly more substantial than a Pretty Woman swathed in silk. EXTRAS ”The Women Behind Vanity Fair” is a celebration of the largely female cast and crew: ”When you’re in a situation…only women can understand,” gushes Witherspoon, ”it’s nice to be around a female director and…female producers.” Seven deleted scenes include a heavy-handed alternate ending, and in her honey-smooth audio commentary, Nair explains that she cast Gabriel Byrne as the dark Marquess of Steyne because she loves the mystery of his face: ”He brought a soul to an otherwise soulless character.”
(Vanity Fair: Frank Connor)
Genre: Drama; Starring: Reese Witherspoon, Eileen Atkins, Jim Broadbent, Gabriel Byrne, Bob Hoskins, Rhys Ifans, Jonathan Rhys Meyers, James Purefoy; Director: Mira Nair; Author: Julian Fellowes; Release Date Wide: 09/01/2004; Runtime (in minutes): 141; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Focus Features
Posted February 1 2005 — 12:00 AM EST
- See Melissa McCarthy and Paul Feig get batty in 'Spy' Blu-ray clip
- Ellen Pompeo: 'Grey's Anatomy' doesn't need McDreamy
- Tom Hardy brought his dog to the premiere of 'Legend'
- Just how well do you know 'Xena: Warrior Princess'?
- A-trak looks back on Fool's Gold Day Off's 5th birthday
- Jimmy Kimmel makes peace with gamers after week-long feud
- Joan Rivers remembered during special episode of 'Fashion Police'
- How three worlds collided for the Shondaland cast shoot: See the exclusive photos
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Tom Hardy, Alessandra Ambrósio, Bindi Irwin & More!