What would a new season of Fox’s American Idol be without some off-key controversy? The Internet’s already buzzing about two auditions, the first involving the 27-year-old Boyz II Men-lovin’ Molfetta twins, who owe their screen time to an age-limit increase from 24 to 28. Apparently, Rich and J.P. released an R&B/ pop album, When the Smoke Clears, in 1998 on an indie label. But wait, isn’t the show supposed to be for amateurs only? ”The rule is that you cannot currently be signed to a management or recording contract,” says a rep for the show. ”Whatever they’ve done in the past is a moot point.” So what about recent reject Robert Solomon (a.k.a. the Lonely Projectionist)? He claims on his personal blog, http:// poodleface.livejournal. com, that he actually sang his ear-splitting rendition of ”Dancing in the Street” in front of two British producers — not Simon Cowell & Co. Yet on the Jan. 25 episode, Cowell seemed to be panning the number in person. ”The performance that aired was part of Robert’s audition process,” say producers. ”Each contestant goes through several filmed auditions as they advance.” A reply that doesn’t quite make our cut.
Posted February 7 2005 — 12:00 AM EST
- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO: There's trouble at sea in 'Fear the Walking Dead' teaser
- Can the 'Legends of Tomorrow' ever truly defeat Vandal Savage?
- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO: Ryan Reynolds on how he was forced into 'X-Men Origins: Wolverine'
- Casting Net: Taraji P. Henson to star in Hidden Figures
- 'Grey's Anatomy' star Ellen Pompeo on Meredith-centric midseason return
- Nasim Pedrad to play teenage boy in Fox pilot 'Chad: An American Boy'
- A house divided in 'House of Cards' season 4 trailer
- 30 Exclusive First Look Photos at the New Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- This Is What the Grammys Looked Like in 1996
- 'Beautiful Girls': Where Are They Now?
- 15 Musicians Who Banned Candidates From Using Their Songs
- See '90s Stars at the 1996 'Broken Arrow' Premiere
- 35 Tom Hiddleston Photos For His 35th Birthday