At 70, Maura Murphy — an Irish housewife with nine children — was diagnosed with lung cancer. She subsequently lost a lung, left her husband of 50 years, and decided to write a memoir. The result is Don’t Wake Me at Doyle’s, an artless but harrowing record of grinding poverty, nonstop pregnancy, addictions, and a bitterly unhappy marriage. (On sex: ”It was no more enjoyable than collecting a bucket of water from the pump or doing a load of washing.”) According to Murphy, her husband was a feckless alcoholic who beat her, cheated on her, and left bottles of pee lying around the bedroom in the wake of his frequent benders. Though this rambling book lacks polish, Murphy manages to convey a lifetime of rancor and misery in this depressing and brutally effective autobiography.
Don't Wake Me at Doyle's At 70, Maura Murphy — an Irish housewife with nine children — was diagnosed with lung cancer. She subsequently lost a lung, left her husband...Don't Wake Me at Doyle'sNonfictionMaura Murphy At 70, Maura Murphy — an Irish housewife with nine children — was diagnosed with lung cancer. She subsequently lost a lung, left her husband...2005-02-07St. Martin's Press
Genre: Nonfiction; Author: Maura Murphy; Publisher: St. Martin's Press
Posted January 17 2015 — 6:16 AM EST
- Adele dressed up like George Michael on her birthday
- Charlize Theron reveals all about her ultimate female road warrior in 'Mad Max'
- Phil Rudd's AC/DC bandmates haven't contacted him since his criminal charges
- 'Charlie Hebdo' editors get standing ovation at PEN Gala
- The Critics' Choice TV Awards 2015: And the nominees are...
- 'Arrow' preview: Who is Oliver Queen?
- Best Coast performs 'Feeling Ok' on 'Conan'
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Chrissy & John, Reese Witherspoon, Charles Esten & More!