Judy Budnitz has a tone all her own. Call it everyday surreal. In ”Where We Come From,” a woman refuses to give birth for four years — ”She looks like a spider, round, fat body, limbs like sticks” — as she tries to sneak across the border so her child will be born American. In ”Saving Face,” an imprisoned woman tells her captors a story of love, obsession, art, and propaganda that explains why she really isn’t the reviled prime minister of a mysterious dictatorship. ”Visitors” channels Joyce Carol Oates and Flannery O’Connor in the story of a pedestrian day gone queasily, perhaps permanently, wrong. Nice Big American Baby is jarring, humane, funny, and so lively it practically buzzes.
Nice Big American Baby Judy Budnitz has a tone all her own. Call it everyday surreal. In ''Where We Come From,'' a woman refuses to give birth for four years — ''She...Nice Big American BabyFictionJudy Budnitz Judy Budnitz has a tone all her own. Call it everyday surreal. In ''Where We Come From,'' a woman refuses to give birth for four years — ''She...2005-02-07Knopf
Genre: Fiction; Author: Judy Budnitz; Publisher: Knopf
Posted January 17 2015 — 6:16 AM EST
- Penultimate Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Art of Evolution sets the stage for an intense finale
- Who said it: Tony Stark or Robert Downey Jr.?
- Paul Giamatti is anti-dildo in 'Inside Amy Schumer' clip
- Manny Pacquiao being sued for failure to disclose injury ahead of Floyd Mayweather Jr. fight
- Reese Witherspoon and Aidy Bryant almost run away together twice in ‘SNL’ promo
- Nathan Lane sings tribute to David Letterman on ‘Late Show’
- 'The Royals' exclusive clip: Prince Liam drunk sings a Disney song
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Taylor Swift, Cate Blanchett, James Marsden & More!