Judy Budnitz has a tone all her own. Call it everyday surreal. In ”Where We Come From,” a woman refuses to give birth for four years — ”She looks like a spider, round, fat body, limbs like sticks” — as she tries to sneak across the border so her child will be born American. In ”Saving Face,” an imprisoned woman tells her captors a story of love, obsession, art, and propaganda that explains why she really isn’t the reviled prime minister of a mysterious dictatorship. ”Visitors” channels Joyce Carol Oates and Flannery O’Connor in the story of a pedestrian day gone queasily, perhaps permanently, wrong. Nice Big American Baby is jarring, humane, funny, and so lively it practically buzzes.
Nice Big American Baby Judy Budnitz has a tone all her own. Call it everyday surreal. In ''Where We Come From,'' a woman refuses to give birth for four years — ''She...Nice Big American BabyFictionJudy Budnitz Judy Budnitz has a tone all her own. Call it everyday surreal. In ''Where We Come From,'' a woman refuses to give birth for four years — ''She...2005-02-07Knopf
Genre: Fiction; Author: Judy Budnitz; Publisher: Knopf
Posted February 7 2005 — 12:00 AM EST
- Arthur Conan Doyle's estate is suing Miramax over 'Mr. Holmes'
- A$AP Rocky and Schoolboy Q shock with 'Electric Body'
- Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen aren't returning for Netflix's 'Fuller House'
- Two more (unofficial) Drake songs leak, including Tinashe collaboration
- Bask in '90s nostalgia with this a ca-mazing 'Boy Meets World' medley
- Eminem to executive produce 'Southpaw' soundtrack: Hear a sneak peek of his new song
- Michael B. Jordan: Why I'm Torching the color line in 'Fantastic Four'
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion (so far)
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 10 hottest tours
- George Clooney, Meghan Trainor, Pharrell & Zoë and More!