I know what you’re thinking: Aren’t Heffalumps like closet monsters, inventions of a fearful Piglet-brain? Not anymore. In Disney’s latest expansion of Pooh Corner, the already xenophobic Hundred Acre Wood community (remember how they reacted when single-mom Kanga moved in?) gets riled over perceived incursions by these elephantine bêtes noires, long feared but (crucially) never glimpsed. It’s a call for Rabbit-sponsored alarm, but it’s also a chance for little Roo (developmentally delayed by all those Carly Simon-penned songs his mother sings him) to prove he’s grown-up enough for a Heffa-hunt. When he meets Lumpy (irresistibly voiced by 8-year-old Brit Kyle Stanger), the martial tone softens and lessons of tolerance are learned. What was accomplished with quiet nuance in A. A. Milne’s stories (where Roo himself was the outsider) is all melodramatic fanfare here; but if you’re willing to accept the initial betrayal of the mythos, Pooh’s Heffalump Movie is a harmless little ”ex-po-tition” (to use a Pooh-ism). Still, making this your kids’ first Pooh experience would be like weaning them on New Coke.
(Pooh's Heffalump Movie: Disney)
Genre: Animation; Starring: Brenda Blethyn, Jim Cummings, Brit Kyle Stanger; Release Date Wide: 02/11/2005; Runtime (in minutes): 63; MPAA Rating: G; Distributor: Walt Disney Pictures
Posted January 17 2015 — 6:16 AM EST
- 'American Idol' alum Justin Guarini on how he became Diet Dr. Pepper’s Lil' Sweet
- Scott Weiland on his new album Blaster and the power of David Bowie
- 'Wolf Creek' filmmaker to direct James Gunn-scripted 'The Belco Experiment'
- Netflix orders season 2 of 'Bloodline'
- 'Room 237' team launches Kickstarter campaign for mysterious new project
- Nathan Fillion shares his love letter to 'Walking Dead'
- Kevin Hooks to direct Nelson Mandela mini-series for BET Networks
- Woe-woe-woe: 23 signature sad songs of the past 20 years
- Jailbird watching: 13 memorable movie prisoners
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- Alicia, Nicki & Bey, Brooke Shields, Helen & Katie and More!