It took Daniel Day-Lewis almost a decade to join his wife, writer/director Rebecca Miller, in making Ballad, in which he plays Jack, a staunch environmentalist who lives on a former commune, isolated except for his tight relationship with his 16-year-old daughter, Rose (Camilla Belle). Keener plays the woman who turns their delicate world tumultuous. Miller sent Day-Lewis the script about eight years ago, before he’d met her. ”I was both attracted to it, and at the same time I knew in that moment I wasn’t able to do it,” he says. ”But I loved the way it was written: She has that wonderful thread of humor that runs through everything.” The two met not long after, married, and years later the timing was right. Filmed chronologically — a rarity — in the spare environs of Prince Edward Island, the movie (which debuted at the recent Sundance festival) was shot in a slim seven weeks, a spree compared to Day-Lewis’ previous eight-month shoot on Gangs of New York. ”To have a chance to go back to working that way was a joy in itself,” he says. ”[The story] is just alive, right in front of you the whole time.”
(The Ballad of Jack and Rose: IFC Films)
Posted January 17 2015 — 6:16 AM EST
- Adele dressed up like George Michael on her birthday
- Charlize Theron reveals all about her ultimate female road warrior in 'Mad Max'
- Phil Rudd's AC/DC bandmates haven't contacted him since his criminal charges
- 'Charlie Hebdo' editors get standing ovation at PEN Gala
- The Critics' Choice TV Awards 2015: And the nominees are...
- 'Arrow' preview: Who is Oliver Queen?
- Best Coast performs 'Feeling Ok' on 'Conan'
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Chrissy & John, Reese Witherspoon, Charles Esten & More!