Lora King, the prim narrator of Abbott’s self-conscious debut novel Die A Little, doesn’t like her brother’s new wife, Alice, one little bit. Sexy, dramatic, and dark, Alice has unsavory friends, erratic bursts of energy, and, after four martinis, ”the eyes of a death mask, rotting behind the gleaming facade.” Then Lora finds a picture of Alice on the front of a playing card — in a garter, fondling another woman’s breasts. Set in 1950s Los Angeles, this arty noir exercise has some wonderfully depraved twists, but Abbott never achieves the momentum and black poetry of the genre’s masters, like the peerless James M. Cain.
Die A Little Lora King, the prim narrator of Abbott's self-conscious debut novel Die A Little, doesn't like her brother's new wife, Alice, one...Die A LittleMystery and ThrillerMegan Abbott Lora King, the prim narrator of Abbott's self-conscious debut novel Die A Little, doesn't like her brother's new wife, Alice, one...2005-02-14Simon & Schuster
Genre: Mystery and Thriller; Author: Megan Abbott; Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Posted February 14 2005 — 12:00 AM EST
- Arthur Conan Doyle's estate is suing Miramax over 'Mr. Holmes'
- A$AP Rocky and Schoolboy Q shock with 'Electric Body'
- Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen aren't returning for Netflix's 'Fuller House'
- Two more (unofficial) Drake songs leak, including Tinashe collaboration
- Bask in '90s nostalgia with this a ca-mazing 'Boy Meets World' medley
- Eminem to executive produce 'Southpaw' soundtrack: Hear a sneak peek of his new song
- Michael B. Jordan: Why I'm Torching the color line in 'Fantastic Four'
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion (so far)
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 10 hottest tours
- George Clooney, Meghan Trainor, Pharrell & Zoë and More!