Gosh. Does Simmonds intend to update Gustave Flaubert’s Madame Bovary? Her heroine is unhappily hitched and quick to cuckold her dull husband (also named Charles), while a nosy neighbor cites Flaubert’s original ad nauseam. But the resemblance stops there. Where Emma is at turns insufferably selfish and hopelessly tragic, modern-day Gemma is a snore, a Bridget Jones knockoff prone to penning such ridiculous diary entries as ”How can an affair be bad when it makes me feel so good?” Oh, how about when said affair ends with her untimely death at the hands of … the Heimlich maneuver?
Gemma Bovery Gosh. Does Simmonds intend to update Gustave Flaubert's Madame Bovary? Her heroine is unhappily hitched and quick to cuckold her dull husband ...Gemma BoveryPosy Simmonds Gosh. Does Simmonds intend to update Gustave Flaubert's Madame Bovary? Her heroine is unhappily hitched and quick to cuckold her dull husband ...2005-02-14Pantheon
Author: Posy Simmonds; Publisher: Pantheon
Posted February 14 2005 — 12:00 AM EST
- TLC airs '19 Kids and Counting' marathon after Josh Duggar child molestation allegations
- 'Tomorrowland': Behind the design of utopia
- Jimmy Fallon and Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson give a commencement speech... in 1989
- Chris Pratt on those Indiana Jones rumors: 'You don’t want to be the guy who f---s that up'
- Cara Delevingne on acting: 'I wanna f---ing Meryl Streep it'
- EW picks: What to binge-watch over Memorial Day weekend
- Ed Sheeran sang 'Rainbow Connection' with Kermit the Frog and had the time of his life
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion (so far)
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 10 hottest tours
- Melissa McCarthy: Did you know she was in...?
- Kendall & Lily, Jon Bon Jovi, Chanel Iman and More!