Gosh. Does Simmonds intend to update Gustave Flaubert’s Madame Bovary? Her heroine is unhappily hitched and quick to cuckold her dull husband (also named Charles), while a nosy neighbor cites Flaubert’s original ad nauseam. But the resemblance stops there. Where Emma is at turns insufferably selfish and hopelessly tragic, modern-day Gemma is a snore, a Bridget Jones knockoff prone to penning such ridiculous diary entries as ”How can an affair be bad when it makes me feel so good?” Oh, how about when said affair ends with her untimely death at the hands of … the Heimlich maneuver?
Gemma Bovery Gosh. Does Simmonds intend to update Gustave Flaubert's Madame Bovary? Her heroine is unhappily hitched and quick to cuckold her dull husband ...Gemma BoveryPosy Simmonds Gosh. Does Simmonds intend to update Gustave Flaubert's Madame Bovary? Her heroine is unhappily hitched and quick to cuckold her dull husband ...2005-02-14Pantheon
Author: Posy Simmonds; Publisher: Pantheon
Posted February 14 2005 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'AHS' star shines in exclusive 'My All-American' trailer
- Spoilers: Alex Kingston returns to 'Doctor Who'
- Jeff Probst debates the use of challenge advantages on 'Survivor'
- Joanna Newsom reveals new record is 'different from anything I did in the past
- 'DWTS': And the fall 2015 celebrities are ...
- Kevin Gates charged with battery after kicking female fan
- Deadmau5 says 'We Are Your Friends' flop restored his faith in music
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- Diane Kruger, Padma Lakshmi, Elle Fanning & More!