Gosh. Does Simmonds intend to update Gustave Flaubert’s Madame Bovary? Her heroine is unhappily hitched and quick to cuckold her dull husband (also named Charles), while a nosy neighbor cites Flaubert’s original ad nauseam. But the resemblance stops there. Where Emma is at turns insufferably selfish and hopelessly tragic, modern-day Gemma is a snore, a Bridget Jones knockoff prone to penning such ridiculous diary entries as ”How can an affair be bad when it makes me feel so good?” Oh, how about when said affair ends with her untimely death at the hands of … the Heimlich maneuver?
Gemma Bovery Gosh. Does Simmonds intend to update Gustave Flaubert's Madame Bovary? Her heroine is unhappily hitched and quick to cuckold her dull husband ...Gemma BoveryPosy Simmonds Gosh. Does Simmonds intend to update Gustave Flaubert's Madame Bovary? Her heroine is unhappily hitched and quick to cuckold her dull husband ...2005-02-14Pantheon
Author: Posy Simmonds; Publisher: Pantheon
Posted February 14 2005 — 12:00 AM EST
- First Listen: Ellen Pompeo on Meredith's shocking 'Grey's Anatomy' attack
- Al Pacino and Melanie Griffith join Where the White Man Runs Away
- Lamar Odom makes first public appearance since hospitalization
- Luke's daughter, April, and Mrs. Kim are back for 'Gilmore Girls'
- Kevin Bacon has a creepy kid in the trailer for horror movie 'The Darkness'
- Russell Simmons, Tony Rock to present All Def Movie Awards
- Everything you missed from Kanye West's 'TLOP' premiere
- Check out the new Maz Kanata 'Star Wars' action figure
- Burt Reynolds Through the Years
- 'The Walking Dead’: Exclusive EW Portraits
- Exclusive Look at 'The Walking Dead' Midseason Return
- 30 Exclusive First Look Photos at the New Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- This Is What the Grammys Looked Like in 1996