You know when you’re in a bar listening to a guy tell hilarious stories, but then he has one too many pints and everything gets indescribably sad all of a sudden? Idle’s chronicle of his 2003?04 bus tour across America is kinda like that. The Monty Python vet will be riffing happily along, and then out of nowhere he tells of his father’s death — ”Christmas by the fireside, the mother weeping, always weeping” — and no amount of pageantry can bring the laffs back. This isn’t a bad thing, it’s just jarring, and a little maudlin at times. Perhaps a note on the cover would have helped: ”Warning! The mirth ahead is tempered by private, personal moments and the occasional beautiful description of the American countryside. Do not be alarmed!”
The Greedy Bastard Diary You know when you're in a bar listening to a guy tell hilarious stories, but then he has one too many pints and everything gets indescribably sad all...The Greedy Bastard DiaryTravelEric Idle You know when you're in a bar listening to a guy tell hilarious stories, but then he has one too many pints and everything gets indescribably sad all...2005-02-14HarperEntertainment
Genre: Travel; Author: Eric Idle; Publisher: HarperEntertainment
Posted January 17 2015 — 6:16 AM EST
- 'Person of Interest' season 4 finale react: A new world order
- 'Forever' exec producer on Henry's secret--safe or out?
- Casting Net: Ashton Kutcher, Josh Hartnett cast in James Franco's 'The Long Home'
- Tom Brokaw vs. cancer: 'Dateline' special
- 'New Girl' react: A modest proposal
- 'New Girl' boss on that season finale shocker--and what's next
- 'Law & Order: SVU' welcomes back familiar faces; get the scoop, watch a sneak peek
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Rob & Kate, Anna Kendrick, Vanessa & Selena and More!