Miramax isn’t known for — how to put it? — subtlety in its Oscar campaigns. But in a turnaround, the studio has gone virtually subliminal in touting Martin Scorsese’s The Aviator. Note the music in a new TV spot: ”Intermezzo” from Mascagni’s opera Cavalleria Rusticana. That’s right, the theme from Scorsese’s notoriously overlooked Raging Bull. ”It’s a classy spot that speaks to the tone of the movie,” demurs Miramax spokesperson Amanda Lundberg. Plus, if you play it backward, it whispers, ”Marty was robbed.”
Posted January 17 2015 — 6:16 AM EST
- Comedy Central defends Trevor Noah after Twitter controversy
- Marilyn Manson, Smashing Pumpkins team up for summer tour
- 'The Americans' renewed for season 4
- There's even more mayhem—and a plot—in the new 'Mad Max' trailer
- Watch Uzo Aduba play Sweeney Todd in Miscast performance
- 'Batman: Arkham Knight'-branded PlayStation 4 announced
- Ciara unveils timeless 'Jackie' album artwork, announces spring tour
- Jailbird watching: 13 memorable movie prisoners
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- Alicia, Nicki & Bey, Brooke Shields, Helen & Katie and More!