A stranger appears at young Ronan’s Irish countryside house in 1951, and, in exchange for dinner and a bed, spins legends of long-ago knights, kings, and tyrants. Ronan is captivated by the storyteller’s accounts of Patrick, pre-sainthood, and the building of Newgrange (an Irish stone structure that predates Stonehenge). When his chilly mother, Catholic sensibilities offended, banishes the old man from the house, Ronan begins a lifelong quest to find the man and solve the mysteries of his family’s past, while forging his own career as a historian. Part period saga, part domestic drama, Ireland sometimes strains with over-wrought prose (”the echo of a sob tripped his breath”). But Delaney gracefully collects essential myths — and invents a few, too — in his heartfelt ode to the oral tradition.
Ireland A stranger appears at young Ronan's Irish countryside house in 1951, and, in exchange for dinner and a bed, spins legends of long-ago knights, kings,...IrelandFictionFrank Delaney A stranger appears at young Ronan's Irish countryside house in 1951, and, in exchange for dinner and a bed, spins legends of long-ago knights, kings,...2005-02-21HarperCollins
Genre: Fiction; Author: Frank Delaney; Publisher: HarperCollins
Posted February 21 2005 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Sesame Street': Sonia Manzano's 7 favorite times from 44 years as Maria
- 'Hannibal': No go at Netflix, Amazon
- Caitlyn Jenner gives empowering talk in new 'I Am Cait' trailer
- Michael Eisner clarifies comment that beautiful, funny women are 'impossible to find'
- Sluggish Fourth of July boxoffice no picnic for Hollywood
- Michael Fassbender as the Dude for 'Big Lebowski' live read
- ESPN pulls golf tourney off Trump course
- Channing Tatum in 'Magic Mike XXL' leads our quip picks
- Reel-to-real couples: 12 relationships on-screen and off
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- Kendall Jenner, Liv Tyler, Jessie J & More!