A stranger appears at young Ronan’s Irish countryside house in 1951, and, in exchange for dinner and a bed, spins legends of long-ago knights, kings, and tyrants. Ronan is captivated by the storyteller’s accounts of Patrick, pre-sainthood, and the building of Newgrange (an Irish stone structure that predates Stonehenge). When his chilly mother, Catholic sensibilities offended, banishes the old man from the house, Ronan begins a lifelong quest to find the man and solve the mysteries of his family’s past, while forging his own career as a historian. Part period saga, part domestic drama, Ireland sometimes strains with over-wrought prose (”the echo of a sob tripped his breath”). But Delaney gracefully collects essential myths — and invents a few, too — in his heartfelt ode to the oral tradition.
Ireland A stranger appears at young Ronan's Irish countryside house in 1951, and, in exchange for dinner and a bed, spins legends of long-ago knights, kings,...IrelandFictionFrank Delaney A stranger appears at young Ronan's Irish countryside house in 1951, and, in exchange for dinner and a bed, spins legends of long-ago knights, kings,...2005-02-21HarperCollins
Genre: Fiction; Author: Frank Delaney; Status: In Season; Publisher: HarperCollins
Posted February 21 2005 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Empire': Behind the scenes at EW's photo shoot
- Skrillex + Diplo release Jack U debut
- 'Empire' star Jussie Smollett on the power of Jamal's coming-out
- 'Focus' aims to lift box office crown from 'Fifty Shades of Grey'
- Bruce Willis indie-thriller 'Wake' halts production due to lack of funding
- 'How to Get Away with Murder' creator on season 1 success, season 2 ideas
- Catwoman comes out as bisexual in comic
- 'Empire': New EW cast portraits and behind-the-scenes photos
- 'Dancing with the Stars': Sizing up the season 20 cast
- 'Parks' 2017: What we embrace/dread in world of tomorrow
- Oscars 2015: EW exclusive rehearsal photos
- Oscars 2015 backstage: EW all-access photo pass
- Taylor, Rita & Orlando, Amanda and More!