Set in a spot-on sleepy Tennessee town circa 1952, Phantom Nights is near-bursting with the potential for top-rate pulpy thrills (”He had the face of a cranky fetus,” Farris writes of one character). And yet too often Farris settles for something more middle-of-the-road. Alex Gambier, a brazen kid of about 14, mute since diphtheria stole his voice box, tests his mettle by lying underneath oncoming passenger trains. That’s how he meets Mally Shaw, a black nurse whose instant friendship with Alex is cut short when she’s brutally raped and murdered. Farris brings Mally back as a ghost, but his graft of Southern gothic doesn’t take when he too often sidelines Alex in favor of his nice-but-boring sheriff brother. We’re promised spicy gumbo, but instead we get good-enough grits.
Phantom Nights Set in a spot-on sleepy Tennessee town circa 1952, Phantom Nights is near-bursting with the potential for top-rate pulpy thrills (''He...Phantom NightsFiction, Mystery and ThrillerJohn Farris Set in a spot-on sleepy Tennessee town circa 1952, Phantom Nights is near-bursting with the potential for top-rate pulpy thrills (''He...2005-02-21Forge Books
Genre: Fiction, Mystery and Thriller; Author: John Farris; Publisher: Forge Books
Posted February 21 2005 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Empire': Lawsuit claims kids were mistreated during filming at youth detention center
- Classic album covers get the 'Star Wars' treatment
- 'Mr. Robot': Carly Chaikin on the big Darlene shocker
- Prince's Paisley Park estate will open for public tours in October
- 'Another Period': Natasha Leggero, Riki Lindhome on season finale
- Katie Ledecky throws out first pitch as Bryce Harper holds her medals
- 'Serial': Adnan Syed alibi witness shoots down attempts to discredit her
- Flashback to the 2001 'Summer Catch' Premiere
- Fall Movie Preview 2016: 'Fantastic Beasts,' 'Rogue One,' and 76 Other Films
- Flashback to the 1996 MTV Video Music Awards
- See All of EW's Fall Movie Preview Covers
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your comedy nominees are...
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your drama nominees are...