What are we to make of the brooding central hooligan in Bad Guy? His name is Han-gi (Cho Je-Hyun), and he starts out by sexually assaulting a willowy college student (Seo Won) and then forcing her to work at a brothel. Once there, she sits alongside the other, hardened hookers at a windowed facade and forlornly takes customers, while Han-gi, in secret, views her activities from behind a one-way mirror. Despite its sleazy setup, the movie is punishingly sexless and diffuse. That’s a surprise, too, coming from the South Korean director Kim Ki-Duk, whose Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter… and Spring was enlightened enough to confront the violent — and erotic — side of a monk’s progress. In Bad Guy, which was actually made in 2001, Han-gi’s victim despises what she’s doing, and so, apparently, does Han-gi, as he stares at her degradation in impotent agony. Really, who needs a bad guy who’s this guilty about being bad?
Bad GuyWhat are we to make of the brooding central hooligan in Bad Guy? His name is Han-gi (Cho Je-Hyun), and he starts out by sexually...Bad GuyDrama, Foreign LanguageKim Ki-DukPT103MWhat are we to make of the brooding central hooligan in Bad Guy? His name is Han-gi (Cho Je-Hyun), and he starts out by sexually...2005-02-23Lifesize
Genre: Drama, Foreign Language; Starring: Cho Je-Hyun, Seo Won; Director: Kim Ki-Duk; Author: Kim Ki-Duk; Runtime (in minutes): 103; Distributor: Lifesize
Posted January 17 2015 — 6:16 AM EST
- 'Outlander' boss Ronald Moore talks Geillis reveal, Claire's shocking choice
- 'Orphan Black' creators on series' sexy, surreal return
- Tatiana Maslany on 'Orphan Black' return, and 'totally changing up what people were going to expect'
- Jonathan Crombie, seen as Gilbert Blythe in 'Anne of Green Gables' films, dies at 48
- Johnny Kemp, 'Just Got Paid' singer, dies
- Star Wars Celebration: Jakku, BB-8 and other key takeaways about 'The Force Awakens'
- Two generations of heroes meet in new 'Star Wars Rebels' trailer
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Prince Harry, Christina Aguilera, Diane Kruger & More!