Shrek 2’s hairball-hacking hitman Puss in Boots may have failed in his mission to assassinate the ogre hero, but the fencing feline voiced by Antonio Banderas did succeed in stealing the movie. So it’s no wonder that DreamWorks plans to give the character his own spinoff. It’s not clear whether Puss in Boots will be a theatrical feature or go straight to video, but it seems likely that the movie is headed for the big screen, given the big deal reported Friday in Variety. According to the trade paper, the studio is paying a six-figure fee to screenwriter David H. Steinberg, who knows from sequels and spinoffs. (He was a cowriter of American Pie 2, and he’s currently working on a screenplay for Love at Second Bite, George Hamilton’s follow-up to his 1979 romantic vampire comedy Love at First Bite.) Banderas will reprise his role in the film, which is due in 2008.
Posted February 25 2005 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Orphan Black' creator on that crazy, twerktastic episode: 'It was an important one for us'
- 'Orphan Black': Dylan Bruce on Paul's big moment
- Ryan Reynolds makes young fan's dream come true on 'Deadpool' set
- And the winner of the 2015 Eurovision Song Contest is...
- Stanley Kubrick's 'The Shining' at 35: Horror director Ted Geoghegan pays tribute
- Sting and Jimmy Fallon take 'Roxanne' to barbershop
- 'Mad Max' gets the 'Mario Kart' mashup it deserves
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Karina Smirnoff, Zachary Quinto, Taylor Swift & More!