The cast of Off Broadway’s The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee is singing its way through words like phylactery and acouchi. Angela Bassett and Laurence Fishburne are shooting Akeelah and the Bee, the story of an inner-city girl who becomes a champion speller. In this fall’s Bee Season, Richard Gere and Juliette Binoche’s marriage unravels as their daughter works the bee circuit. And just like that, a geeky grammar school pursuit is all the rage. ”I’m not treating it as an academic competition; I’m treating it as a sports movie,” says Akeelah writer-director Doug Atchison. ”It’s as exciting, nerve-racking, and exhilarating an event as I’ve seen.” Mathletes, stand by. Your time will come.
Posted February 28 2005 — 12:00 AM EST
- Shane Davis and Michelle Delecki preview new gaming comic 'Axcend'
- 'The Flash' star Grant Gustin zooms through EW’s Pop Culture Personality Quiz
- The TV addict's guide to the must-see panels at New York Comic-Con 2015
- The next 'Far Cry' is a mammoth-hunting caveman adventure
- Ashley Judd alleges that she was sexually harassed by a studio mogul
- The modern relevancy of Monday night's surprise 'Gotham' twist
- Dateline to tell the stories of 27 women in 'Cosby Accusers Speak'