The cast of Off Broadway’s The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee is singing its way through words like phylactery and acouchi. Angela Bassett and Laurence Fishburne are shooting Akeelah and the Bee, the story of an inner-city girl who becomes a champion speller. In this fall’s Bee Season, Richard Gere and Juliette Binoche’s marriage unravels as their daughter works the bee circuit. And just like that, a geeky grammar school pursuit is all the rage. ”I’m not treating it as an academic competition; I’m treating it as a sports movie,” says Akeelah writer-director Doug Atchison. ”It’s as exciting, nerve-racking, and exhilarating an event as I’ve seen.” Mathletes, stand by. Your time will come.
Posted February 28 2005 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Shades of Blue' renewed for season 2
- Who is performing at Super Bowl 50?
- Why 'Fury Road' deserves the Oscar for best picture
- Bruno Mars to join Beyoncé in Super Bowl halftime show
- Tidal donates $1.5 million to Black Lives Matter
- Stone Temple Pilots announce open search for new singer
- James Corden & Cindy Crawford recreate iconic Super Bowl commercial