The cast of Off Broadway’s The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee is singing its way through words like phylactery and acouchi. Angela Bassett and Laurence Fishburne are shooting Akeelah and the Bee, the story of an inner-city girl who becomes a champion speller. In this fall’s Bee Season, Richard Gere and Juliette Binoche’s marriage unravels as their daughter works the bee circuit. And just like that, a geeky grammar school pursuit is all the rage. ”I’m not treating it as an academic competition; I’m treating it as a sports movie,” says Akeelah writer-director Doug Atchison. ”It’s as exciting, nerve-racking, and exhilarating an event as I’ve seen.” Mathletes, stand by. Your time will come.
Posted February 28 2005 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'AGT': Grace VanderWaal continues to shine with 'Light the Sky'
- Ed Sheeran and Snow Patrol make surprise wedding performance
- It's Black Panther vs. Black Widow in deleted scene from 'Civil War'
- 'Grey's Anatomy': Arizona's getting a new love interest!
- Gabby Douglas reveals she had a cyst removed in her mouth
- Demi Lovato goes undercover as a Lyft driver to surprise fans
- 'The Office': Mindy Kaling imagines Michael Scott's take on Ryan Lochte