”You have to enter a specific kind of mental space when you watch the show,” says Christopher Knight (a.k.a. Peter) on The Brady Bunch: The Complete First Season. True, true. Even folks who tuned in during Brady’s original run (how I’ve envied them all these years!) must have found the sugary series strange to swallow at a time when X-rated movies were winning Oscars and Vietnam dominated the evening news. No wonder the Shakespearean-reared Robert Reed suffered so! But on second — well, more like 102nd — viewing, he’s the one who shines here, in the show’s purest, most high-jinks-free installments (Tiger runs away, Marcia gets braces, Greg’s hot for teacher, etc.). EXTRAS With so much already out there, it’s hard to complain about a dearth of bonus features. Still, the transfer is so crisp that you can see creases in the backyard AstroTurf. Understates Barry Williams (Greg) in one of his two fun, self-mocking commentaries with Knight and Susan Olsen (Cindy): ”I can’t behave our show never won an Emmy!” One of history’s great injustices.
(The Brady Bunch: Everett Collection)
Posted March 1 2005 — 12:00 AM EST
- Bubba Watson says he's removing Confederate flag from his 'Dukes of Hazzard' car
- How Taylor Swift, Jimmy Fallon, and other stars are celebrating July 4
- 'Crimson Peak' exclusive: Mia Wasikowska flees the darkness in Guillermo del Toro's Gothic chiller
- Beach reads: 15 heart-stopping thrillers to dive into this summer
- Zack Snyder defends ‘Man of Steel’ ending: You can’t have superheroes knock around with no consequences
- 50 Songs for 50 States: EW's favorite patriotic pop through the years
- 'Big Brother': Julie Chen answers our burning Q's about Jace, Audrey, and a twist
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Eddie Redmayne, Eva Longoria, Flo Rida & More!