”You have to enter a specific kind of mental space when you watch the show,” says Christopher Knight (a.k.a. Peter) on The Brady Bunch: The Complete First Season. True, true. Even folks who tuned in during Brady’s original run (how I’ve envied them all these years!) must have found the sugary series strange to swallow at a time when X-rated movies were winning Oscars and Vietnam dominated the evening news. No wonder the Shakespearean-reared Robert Reed suffered so! But on second — well, more like 102nd — viewing, he’s the one who shines here, in the show’s purest, most high-jinks-free installments (Tiger runs away, Marcia gets braces, Greg’s hot for teacher, etc.). EXTRAS With so much already out there, it’s hard to complain about a dearth of bonus features. Still, the transfer is so crisp that you can see creases in the backyard AstroTurf. Understates Barry Williams (Greg) in one of his two fun, self-mocking commentaries with Knight and Susan Olsen (Cindy): ”I can’t behave our show never won an Emmy!” One of history’s great injustices.
(The Brady Bunch: Everett Collection)
Posted March 1 2005 — 12:00 AM EST
- A$AP Rocky's 'At.Long.Last.A$AP' to drop at midnight
- Even Taylor Swift's mom thought it was 'Starbucks lovers'
- Two of B.B. King's daughters allege father was poisoned by employees
- Hear Icona Pop's new single 'Emergency'
- 'It' on hold; director Cary Fukunaga exits
- 'Jurassic World' director Colin Trevorrow dishes on deadly new dino Indominus Rex
- Drake: 'Madonna' out, 'Rihanna' in?
- 15 scary movies we saw as kids... that still haunt our nightmares
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Christina & Matt, Kendall Jenner, Jordin Sparks & More!