”You have to enter a specific kind of mental space when you watch the show,” says Christopher Knight (a.k.a. Peter) on The Brady Bunch: The Complete First Season. True, true. Even folks who tuned in during Brady’s original run (how I’ve envied them all these years!) must have found the sugary series strange to swallow at a time when X-rated movies were winning Oscars and Vietnam dominated the evening news. No wonder the Shakespearean-reared Robert Reed suffered so! But on second — well, more like 102nd — viewing, he’s the one who shines here, in the show’s purest, most high-jinks-free installments (Tiger runs away, Marcia gets braces, Greg’s hot for teacher, etc.). EXTRAS With so much already out there, it’s hard to complain about a dearth of bonus features. Still, the transfer is so crisp that you can see creases in the backyard AstroTurf. Understates Barry Williams (Greg) in one of his two fun, self-mocking commentaries with Knight and Susan Olsen (Cindy): ”I can’t behave our show never won an Emmy!” One of history’s great injustices.
(The Brady Bunch: Everett Collection)
Posted January 17 2015 — 6:16 AM EST
- James Bond enters a 'hurricane' in first 'Spectre' teaser: Watch now
- 'The Legend of Zelda' for Wii U delayed
- Kit Harington fights terrorism in 'Spooks: The Greater Good' trailer
- Billie Joe Armstrong musical 'These Paper Bullets!' coming to LA, NYC
- 'It Follows': The story behind the score
- Nick Jonas talks hosting the 2015 Kids' Choice Awards, his new image and that Kanye West cover
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- Patricia Field on 5 costume gigs before she got 'Younger'
- Katy Perry, Kenny & Taylor, Josh Peck and More!