”You have to enter a specific kind of mental space when you watch the show,” says Christopher Knight (a.k.a. Peter) on The Brady Bunch: The Complete First Season. True, true. Even folks who tuned in during Brady’s original run (how I’ve envied them all these years!) must have found the sugary series strange to swallow at a time when X-rated movies were winning Oscars and Vietnam dominated the evening news. No wonder the Shakespearean-reared Robert Reed suffered so! But on second — well, more like 102nd — viewing, he’s the one who shines here, in the show’s purest, most high-jinks-free installments (Tiger runs away, Marcia gets braces, Greg’s hot for teacher, etc.). EXTRAS With so much already out there, it’s hard to complain about a dearth of bonus features. Still, the transfer is so crisp that you can see creases in the backyard AstroTurf. Understates Barry Williams (Greg) in one of his two fun, self-mocking commentaries with Knight and Susan Olsen (Cindy): ”I can’t behave our show never won an Emmy!” One of history’s great injustices.
(The Brady Bunch: Everett Collection)
Posted March 1 2005 — 12:00 AM EST
- Casting Net: M. Night Shyamalan's new supernatural thriller adds four actors
- 'Chicago Fire' recap: 'Let it Burn'
- Top 5 'Muppets' moments from 'Pig Out'
- 'Pretty Little Liars' EP to produce 'Famous in Love' drama pilot starring Bella Thorne
- 'Arrow' actor Neal McDonough on bringing megalomaniac Damien Darhk to life
- Lamar Odom hospitalized in Las Vegas after he was found unconscious at brothel
- E! is going to spin off 'Botched'
- 12 Instagram Photos of Pitbull Hanging Out with Celebrities
- 25 Unforgettable Dresses From the Past 25 Years
- Box Office Flops: 19 Notorious Opening Weekends
- EW's 25 Best Movies in 25 Years
- EW Reunions: Bonus portraits of your favorite TV and movie casts
- 'The Walking Dead': 15 Exclusive Storyboard Illustrations From Season 6