Disco diva Sylvester — an imposing androgyne who scored Top 40 hits like ”You Make Me Feel (Mighty Real)” in the late ’70s — was an almost indescribable figure: the outré outfits, the high-pitched falsetto, the sequined everything. In The Fabulous Sylvester Joshua Gamson writes about the singer’s offbeat life in San Francisco with the excitement of an archaeologist screaming ”Eureka!” at every turn; his prose is playful and furious. Putting the singer’s story into sociological context, Gamson recounts the rousing Sundays of his churchgoing youth in L.A., which influenced his wild stage shows. He rightly conflates the emergence of disco — and the backlash that followed — with the civil/gay/women’s rights movements. And he captures the astonishing scope of AIDS with grace and indignation, portraying Sylvester’s death in 1988 as if amazed that such a force of nature could ever be defeated.
The Fabulous Sylvester Disco diva Sylvester — an imposing androgyne who scored Top 40 hits like ''You Make Me Feel (Mighty Real)'' in the late '70s — was an...The Fabulous SylvesterNonfiction, BiographyJoshua Gamson Disco diva Sylvester — an imposing androgyne who scored Top 40 hits like ''You Make Me Feel (Mighty Real)'' in the late '70s — was an...2005-03-02Henry Holt & Company
Genre: Nonfiction, Biography; Author: Joshua Gamson; Publisher: Henry Holt & Company
Posted March 2 2005 — 12:00 AM EST
- Kelly Rowland at Essence Fest previews BET series to find next great girl group
- The Nathan's Hot Dog Eating contest crowned a new champion on July 4
- Michael Douglas' mother dies at 92
- Hello Kitty movie targeted for 2019
- 'Suicide Squad' on-set photo: Harley Quinn birthday cake for Margot Robbie
- Caitlyn Jenner 'proud to be an American'
- Lil Wayne: 'Free Weezy Album' on Tidal
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Garcelle Beauvais, Kylie Jenner, Serena Williams & More!