Disco diva Sylvester — an imposing androgyne who scored Top 40 hits like ”You Make Me Feel (Mighty Real)” in the late ’70s — was an almost indescribable figure: the outré outfits, the high-pitched falsetto, the sequined everything. In The Fabulous Sylvester Joshua Gamson writes about the singer’s offbeat life in San Francisco with the excitement of an archaeologist screaming ”Eureka!” at every turn; his prose is playful and furious. Putting the singer’s story into sociological context, Gamson recounts the rousing Sundays of his churchgoing youth in L.A., which influenced his wild stage shows. He rightly conflates the emergence of disco — and the backlash that followed — with the civil/gay/women’s rights movements. And he captures the astonishing scope of AIDS with grace and indignation, portraying Sylvester’s death in 1988 as if amazed that such a force of nature could ever be defeated.
The Fabulous Sylvester Disco diva Sylvester — an imposing androgyne who scored Top 40 hits like ''You Make Me Feel (Mighty Real)'' in the late '70s — was an...The Fabulous SylvesterNonfiction, BiographyJoshua Gamson Disco diva Sylvester — an imposing androgyne who scored Top 40 hits like ''You Make Me Feel (Mighty Real)'' in the late '70s — was an...2005-03-02Henry Holt & Company
Genre: Nonfiction, Biography; Author: Joshua Gamson; Publisher: Henry Holt & Company
Posted January 17 2015 — 6:16 AM EST
- Casting Net: Courtney Love, Timothy Hutton, Giancarlo Esposito join James Franco's 'The Long Home'
- Nicki Minaj joins 'Barbershop 3' cast
- 'Forever' sneak peek: John Noble puts Henry to a test he nearly fails
- 'Late Show' sneak peek: President Obama, David Letterman make retirement plans
- 'The Flash': Iris confronts Barry with the truth
- Jada Pinkett Smith on Fish Mooney's fate as 'Gotham' wraps season 1
- Orlando Jones exits 'Sleepy Hollow'
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Britney Spears, Orlando Bloom, Solange & More!