Disco diva Sylvester — an imposing androgyne who scored Top 40 hits like ”You Make Me Feel (Mighty Real)” in the late ’70s — was an almost indescribable figure: the outré outfits, the high-pitched falsetto, the sequined everything. In The Fabulous Sylvester Joshua Gamson writes about the singer’s offbeat life in San Francisco with the excitement of an archaeologist screaming ”Eureka!” at every turn; his prose is playful and furious. Putting the singer’s story into sociological context, Gamson recounts the rousing Sundays of his churchgoing youth in L.A., which influenced his wild stage shows. He rightly conflates the emergence of disco — and the backlash that followed — with the civil/gay/women’s rights movements. And he captures the astonishing scope of AIDS with grace and indignation, portraying Sylvester’s death in 1988 as if amazed that such a force of nature could ever be defeated.
The Fabulous Sylvester Disco diva Sylvester — an imposing androgyne who scored Top 40 hits like ''You Make Me Feel (Mighty Real)'' in the late '70s — was an...The Fabulous SylvesterNonfiction, BiographyJoshua Gamson Disco diva Sylvester — an imposing androgyne who scored Top 40 hits like ''You Make Me Feel (Mighty Real)'' in the late '70s — was an...2005-03-02Henry Holt & Company
Genre: Nonfiction, Biography; Author: Joshua Gamson; Publisher: Henry Holt & Company
Posted March 2 2005 — 12:00 AM EST
- You can binge all of TNT's new show 'Public Morals' — only on Labor Day weekend
- New 'Batman v Superman' pics show Wonder Woman, the Batmobile
- 'Star Wars: Aftermath': Finding Han Solo for a quick galactic run
- Kanye West sends Taylor Swift flowers after the 2015 VMAs
- Aretha Franklin blocks Telluride screening of 'Amazing Grace'
- Hear Charlie Puth cover Drake's 'Hotline Bling' with Kehlani
- Check out the thrilling 'Arrow' season 4 trailer
- Force Friday: See Hasbro's 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' toys
- How three worlds collided for the Shondaland cast shoot: See the exclusive photos
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- Johnny Depp, Gabrielle Union, Karlie Kloss & More!