How to classify a film that makes you cringe and thrill with equal intensity? Camp? Kitsch? Meta? Charly! Adapted from Daniel Keyes’ haunting novel Flowers for Algernon, wherein a developmentally disabled man becomes superintelligent via experimental surgery, the premise is certainly alluring. But director Ralph Nelson and screenwriter Stirling Silliphant make a multitude of jaw-dropping choices — like a trippy Charly-as-biker/beatnik montage and a sequence in which pre-op Charly chases post-op Charly through a dream maze. Only now released on DVD (it’s certainly not growing any less dated as time goes by), Charly won Robertson a Best Actor Oscar for his grounded portrayal of a man walking through the minefield of newfound awareness — to say nothing of the minefield of unintentionally hilarious contrivances. EXTRAS would have been great (there’s a lot of room for elucidation); too bad there aren’t any.
Genre: Sci-fi and Fantasy, Drama; Starring: Claire Bloom, Cliff Robertson, Dick Van Patten, Lilia Skala, Ruth White; Director: Ralph Nelson; Author: Stirling Silliphant; Runtime (in minutes): 103; MPAA Rating: PG; Distributor: CBS/Fox Home Video
Posted January 17 2015 — 6:16 AM EST
- 'Outlander' boss Ronald Moore talks Geillis reveal, Claire's shocking choice
- 'Orphan Black' creators on series' sexy, surreal return
- Tatiana Maslany on 'Orphan Black' return, and 'totally changing up what people were going to expect'
- Jonathan Crombie, seen as Gilbert Blythe in 'Anne of Green Gables' films, dies at 48
- Johnny Kemp, 'Just Got Paid' singer, dies
- Star Wars Celebration: Jakku, BB-8 and other key takeaways about 'The Force Awakens'
- Two generations of heroes meet in new 'Star Wars Rebels' trailer
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Prince Harry, Christina Aguilera, Diane Kruger & More!