Fred Durst: Kevin Winter/Getty
Gary Susman
March 08, 2005 AT 05:00 AM EST

A couple years ago, Fred Durst went on Howard Stern’s show and bragged in explicit detail about his alleged affair with Britney Spears. But when it comes to showing himself on video having sex, that’s where the Limp Bizkit frontman draws the line. The rocker has filed an $80 million lawsuit and a temporary restraining order against various websites he deems responsible for posting online a clip of him having sex with an unnamed girlfriend. What’s more, according to court papers posted at The Smoking Gun, he claims a link between his pirated personal video and the hacking of Paris Hilton’s cell phone.

The papers say that Durst filmed himself having sex with the unnamed woman (whom he says he filmed with her consent) in 2003, that he never intended for the video to be made public, and that he believed it was secure on the hard drive of his personal computer. But late last year, an unnamed party contacted Durst’s manager, Peter Katsis, claiming to have a copy, and made an offer to commercially exploit the video. The party contacted Katsis again in late February, claiming the video had been pirated by the same hackers who had just revealed the contents of Hilton’s T-Mobile Sidekick II phone to the world (celebrity phone numbers, racy pictures of the Simple Life star, and private e-mails, including some from Durst). The video was leaked to the Internet soon after. Durst’s filing also says that a U.S. Secret Service agent told the singer’s lawyer that the agency was investigating both the Durst leak and the Hilton hacking, feeling that they were connected.

First among the defendants named in the suit is gossip blog Gawker. Gawker posted a statement on Monday, saying, ”Honestly, though, we don?t know why you?re so mad at us. The situation is really rather simple. Someone sent us a link to a video of your penis, we went into shock, and we shared it with the world for about 2 hours. Then we wept, found God, took a hot bath, and removed the video from our site.” Gawker publisher Nick Denton told EW.com: ”We hosted the video and then removed it for bandwidth reasons.” That was three days before Gawker received the restraining order, Denton said, though links to other sites hosting the video were still active on both Gawker and its sister site Fleshbot on Monday.

You May Like

Comments

EDIT POST