Brooke Valentine’s debut, Chain Letter, plays like Steven Soderbergh’s filmography: There’s a little popcorn for the cineplex and some chewier fare for the art houses. But Valentine’s eccentricities, unlike Soderbergh’s, actually improve her chances for stardom. On ”American Girl,” the 19-year-old shakes her Texan tail feather over a jungle beat, while ”I Wish You Were Dead” is a baroque pop gem. The CD could have added up to her own sex, lies and videotape if not for Lil Jon, whose tired bubble-crunk single ”Girlfight” puts this disc squarely in Solaris territory.
Chain Letter Brooke Valentine's debut, Chain Letter, plays like Steven Soderbergh's filmography: There's a little popcorn for the cineplex and some...Chain LetterR&B Brooke Valentine's debut, Chain Letter, plays like Steven Soderbergh's filmography: There's a little popcorn for the cineplex and some...2005-03-14
Genre: R&B; Lead Performer: Brooke Valentine; Producer (group): Virgin
Posted March 14 2005 — 12:00 AM EST
- Bill Paxton reminisces about 15 key roles
- 15 scary movies we saw as kids... that still haunt our nightmares
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- Bryce & Chris, Karlie Kloss, Tony & Gaga and More!