Lackluster box office of late has decreed that Jude Law is not a movie star, and Chris Rock did him no favors at the Oscars. But as the eponymous character in Alfie, the metrosexual Brit with an eye for the ”superficial things that really matter,” Law emanates a Hud-like heat that’s lethal even beneath a dweebish driving cap, and the ladies are helpless in the glare of his panty-peeling grin. So it’s not entirely fair to blame Law for this film’s theatrical impotence. The original Alfie (with Michael Caine) was truly a product of the swingin’ ’60s, and this update retains a sensibility that has lost its appeal (unless it’s played for laughs by Austin Powers). ”Maybe it was just the wrong timing for the movie,” laments director Charles Shyer. Maybe they just didn’t update Alfie enough. Eight deleted scenes highlight some impressive EXTRAS, which also include two commentaries and a short featurette about Mick Jagger’s music. In one sadly axed scene, Alfie spits some of his roguish venom at us: Speaking to the camera, as he does throughout the movie itself, he says smugly, ”I don’t owe you an explanation. You don’t like me? Leave.” Take that, Chris.
(Alfie: David Appleby)
Starring: Jude Law, Marisa Tomei; Starring: Omar Epps, Jane Krakowski, Nia Long, Sienna Miller, Susan Sarandon; Director: Charles Shyer; Author: Elaine Pope, Charles Shyer; Release Date Wide: 11/05/2004; Runtime (in minutes): 103; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Paramount Pictures
Posted January 17 2015 — 6:16 AM EST
- 'Last Man on Earth' season finale: Will Forte on THAT ending--and what's next
- 'Game of Thrones' actor explains his surprisingly early exit
- 'Suicide Squad': First Look at rogues' gallery in costume
- 'Game of Thrones': Carice van Houten on nudity, Jon Snow
- 'Star Wars': 'Force Awakens' toys in Sept.
- J.K. Rowling apologizes to fans for a 'Harry Potter' character's death
- Kanye West announces new album title
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Halle Berry & Goldie Hawn, Plus Diddy, Melissa McCarthy & More!