Lackluster box office of late has decreed that Jude Law is not a movie star, and Chris Rock did him no favors at the Oscars. But as the eponymous character in Alfie, the metrosexual Brit with an eye for the ”superficial things that really matter,” Law emanates a Hud-like heat that’s lethal even beneath a dweebish driving cap, and the ladies are helpless in the glare of his panty-peeling grin. So it’s not entirely fair to blame Law for this film’s theatrical impotence. The original Alfie (with Michael Caine) was truly a product of the swingin’ ’60s, and this update retains a sensibility that has lost its appeal (unless it’s played for laughs by Austin Powers). ”Maybe it was just the wrong timing for the movie,” laments director Charles Shyer. Maybe they just didn’t update Alfie enough. Eight deleted scenes highlight some impressive EXTRAS, which also include two commentaries and a short featurette about Mick Jagger’s music. In one sadly axed scene, Alfie spits some of his roguish venom at us: Speaking to the camera, as he does throughout the movie itself, he says smugly, ”I don’t owe you an explanation. You don’t like me? Leave.” Take that, Chris.
(Alfie: David Appleby)
Starring: Jude Law, Marisa Tomei; Starring: Omar Epps, Jane Krakowski, Nia Long, Sienna Miller, Susan Sarandon; Director: Charles Shyer; Author: Elaine Pope, Charles Shyer; Release Date Wide: 11/05/2004; Runtime (in minutes): 103; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Paramount Pictures
Posted March 15 2005 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Hannibal' music supervisor on working with Siouxsie Sioux for the finale's song
- Hugh Dancy explains that shocking 'Hannibal' series finale
- Ansel Elgort remembers former classmate after his death
- New 'Downton Abbey' trailer previews final season
- 'Les Miserables' actor dies at 21
- Jackson family remembers Michael Jackson on his birthday
- Amal Clooney says Egyptian Al-Jazeera conviction 'sends a dangerous message'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Demi Lovato, Nicki Minaj, Bill Murray, Bruce Willis and More!