The feel-good ethnocomedy, whether its table is set with fried chicken or matzo or Guinness, is necessarily, often pleasantly square. In The Boys and Girl From County Clare, traditional Irish values and traditional Irish stereotypes are defended handily — a bit too handily, given the mid-’60s setting — by warring ceilidh bands headed by estranged brothers. The younger (Colm Meaney) traded family responsibilities for Liverpudlian exile; the elder (The Lord of the Rings’ Bernard Hill) kept the home fires burning. A music competition on their native sod sets the stage for rivalry, reconciliation, and dialogue (”It’s all about the music!”) that’s been boiled longer than Hibernian cuisine. We get a few winks about the disruptions, musical and otherwise, racking the world outside, but Boys is really just a long fiddle session in a very familiar pub. It’s not quite Epcot Ireland, though: When people drink (and they drink a lot — they’re Irish, ye see!), they also vomit. A lot.
(The Boys and Girl From County Clare: First Look Media)
Genre: Comedy, Musical; Starring: Bernard Hill, Colm Meaney, Andrea Corr; Director: John Irvin; Author: Nicholas Adams; Release Date Limited: 03/11/2005; Runtime (in minutes): 90; Distributor: First Look
Posted March 16 2005 — 12:00 AM EST
- How 'Vinyl' star Bobby Cannavale tormented the director of 'Ant-Man'
- Frank Grillo fights to protect a senator in 'The Purge: Election Year' trailer
- See Larry David break repeatedly in 'SNL' outtake reel
- I'm watching 'Dance Moms' with my 8-year-old twin daughters: Episode 7
- Ryan Reynolds: 'Having a daughter was a dream come true'
- Gwen Stefani announces album release date
- Control an army of Autobots or Decepticons in this upcoming 'Transformers' mobile game
- 30 Exclusive First Look Photos at the New Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- This Is What the Grammys Looked Like in 1996
- 'Beautiful Girls': Where Are They Now?
- 15 Musicians Who Banned Candidates From Using Their Songs
- See '90s Stars at the 1996 'Broken Arrow' Premiere
- 35 Tom Hiddleston Photos For His 35th Birthday