The feel-good ethnocomedy, whether its table is set with fried chicken or matzo or Guinness, is necessarily, often pleasantly square. In The Boys and Girl From County Clare, traditional Irish values and traditional Irish stereotypes are defended handily — a bit too handily, given the mid-’60s setting — by warring ceilidh bands headed by estranged brothers. The younger (Colm Meaney) traded family responsibilities for Liverpudlian exile; the elder (The Lord of the Rings’ Bernard Hill) kept the home fires burning. A music competition on their native sod sets the stage for rivalry, reconciliation, and dialogue (”It’s all about the music!”) that’s been boiled longer than Hibernian cuisine. We get a few winks about the disruptions, musical and otherwise, racking the world outside, but Boys is really just a long fiddle session in a very familiar pub. It’s not quite Epcot Ireland, though: When people drink (and they drink a lot — they’re Irish, ye see!), they also vomit. A lot.
(The Boys and Girl From County Clare: First Look Media)
Genre: Comedy, Musical; Starring: Bernard Hill, Colm Meaney, Andrea Corr; Director: John Irvin; Author: Nicholas Adams; Runtime (in minutes): 90; Distributor: First Look
Posted March 16 2005 — 12:00 AM EST
- See EWwy campaign posters for the best dramatic actress nominees
- EWwy Awards 2015: See the nominee reels
- Marlon Wayans dishes on guest-judging 'America’s Got Talent'
- 'Game of Thrones' actor gets grilled in clip from 'Big Significant Things'
- Galantis drop the goofiest music video of the summer
- The Weeknd drops 'I Can't Feel My Face' music video, and it's on fire (literally)
- Netflix still planning another season of 'Arrested Development'
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- #50Scoops50Days: Keep up with the latest in fall TV news
- Ashley Madison profiles for TV's most famous adulterers
- The Hemsworths, Eva Longoria, Tom Cruise & More!