Unlike his multiplatinum breakthrough, Play, Moby’s new album, Hotel, is sample-free, revealing just how ordinary his synth-pop has grown. A bonus disc offers an hour-plus of ambient instrumentals so ethereal they practically dissolve into the ether. Among the requisite ecstatic chants and icy chill-outs, however, slinks an appealing cheekiness: He follows a New Order homage with a somnolent cover of that band’s ”Temptation,” and the big-chorus soft rock of ”Slipping Away” would have been the best track on the latest R.E.M. record.
HotelUnlike his multiplatinum breakthrough, Play, Moby's new album, Hotel, is sample-free, revealing just how ordinary his synth-pop...HotelUnlike his multiplatinum breakthrough, Play, Moby's new album, Hotel, is sample-free, revealing just how ordinary his synth-pop...2005-03-21
Lead Performer: Moby; Producer (group): V2
Posted March 21 2005 — 12:00 AM EST
- Hollywood pays tribute to horror master Wes Craven
- Nicki Minaj's Miley Cyrus VMAs moment were not staged
- Justin Bieber releases music video for 'What Do You Mean?'
- Justin Bieber cries after MTV VMAs performance
- Kanye West is having the best time at the MTV VMAs
- MTV just debuted a new trailer for 'The Shannara Chronicles'
- Demi Lovato performs 'Cool For The Summer' with Iggy Azalea at VMAs
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- Khloé & Kris, Elsa & Chris, Rihanna and More!