If you want to see the missing link between John Wayne’s squint and Clint Eastwood’s sneer, look no further than Charlton Heston in Major Dundee. As the glowering antihero of Sam Peckinpah’s 1965 cavalry epic, Heston acts with a caustic, contained fury — honor teetering on the edge of obsession — that bridges the square fervor of a classic Western with the nihilism of contempo, stare-down revenge. Like virtually every movie in history that was drastically cut by its studio, Major Dundee has the reputation of being a butchered masterpiece. Now you can see for yourself: Sony is rereleasing the film with much of its original footage restored. As Dundee, a disgraced Union officer, assembles a ragtag pickup army — Confederate prisoners, black guards, a one-armed James Coburn — to go after Apache aggressors, the movie sprawls like an inflated Dirty Dozen. Major Dundee has its longueurs, yet at its best you can feel Peckinpah, at the twilight of the studio era, dreaming of a far wilder bunch.
(Major Dundee: Everett Collection)
Genre: War, Western; Starring: Richard Harris, Charlton Heston, James Coburn, Jim Hutton; Director: Sam Peckinpah; Author: Harry Julian Fink, Jr., Sam Peckinpah, Oscar Saul; Runtime (in minutes): 136; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Sony Pictures Entertainment
Posted April 6 2005 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Kelly Rowland at Essence Fest previews BET series to find next great girl group
- The Nathan's Hot Dog Eating contest crowned a new champion on July 4
- Michael Douglas' mother dies at 92
- Hello Kitty movie targeted for 2019
- 'Suicide Squad' on-set photo: Harley Quinn birthday cake for Margot Robbie
- Caitlyn Jenner 'proud to be an American'
- Lil Wayne: 'Free Weezy Album' on Tidal
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Garcelle Beauvais, Kylie Jenner, Serena Williams & More!