It was probably destiny that Beyoncé would take a starring role in a movie version of Dreamgirls. Variety confirms what’s been rumored for months: that the Destiny’s Child frontwoman is in talks to star in Dreamworks’ film adaptation of the hit Broadway musical loosely based on the story of the Supremes. It’s not clear whether Beyoncé would play the lead role of Deena, the Diana Ross-inspired character, or the flashier role of Effie, who gets to sing the showstopping ”And I Am Telling You I Am Not Going” number that made a star of Jennifer Holliday. Kinsey writer-director Bill Condon, who was nominated for an Oscar for his screenplay for Chicago, is writing and directing Dreamgirls, which he hopes to shoot this fall in Los Angeles.
Posted April 11 2005 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Grey's Anatomy' star reacts to Stephanie's cold move
- Simon Cowell goes Hannibal Lecter in 'America's Got Talent' promo
- Police looking at possible drug OD in Prince's death, report says
- Penelope Cruz to star in reinvention drama 'Layover'
- 'The Catch' lands 'Happy Endings,' 'Army Wives' stars
- What to Watch Thursday: 'Lip Sync Battle' stages a 'Community' reunion
- Michelle Obama to appear on 'The Voice'