It was probably destiny that Beyoncé would take a starring role in a movie version of Dreamgirls. Variety confirms what’s been rumored for months: that the Destiny’s Child frontwoman is in talks to star in Dreamworks’ film adaptation of the hit Broadway musical loosely based on the story of the Supremes. It’s not clear whether Beyoncé would play the lead role of Deena, the Diana Ross-inspired character, or the flashier role of Effie, who gets to sing the showstopping ”And I Am Telling You I Am Not Going” number that made a star of Jennifer Holliday. Kinsey writer-director Bill Condon, who was nominated for an Oscar for his screenplay for Chicago, is writing and directing Dreamgirls, which he hopes to shoot this fall in Los Angeles.
Posted January 17 2015 — 6:16 AM EST
- 'Batman v Superman' has two new posters to go along with that trailer
- 'Fantastic Four' trailer arrives with hints of Doom
- 'Star Wars: Rogue One' will depict raid to steal original Death Star plans
- 'Furious 7' holds off 'Paul Blart' to win box office for third weekend in a row
- Victoria Justice breaks news to fans on Twitter: 'Eye Candy' canceled by MTV
- Jon Stewart explains why he quit 'The Daily Show'
- Jason Sudeikis: Now (Tribeca), then ('SNL'), future ('Fletch'?)
- Blake Lively in 'Age of Adaline': Style when you're forever 29
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- Kellie Pickler, Julia Roberts, Taylor Swift & More!