It was probably destiny that Beyoncé would take a starring role in a movie version of Dreamgirls. Variety confirms what’s been rumored for months: that the Destiny’s Child frontwoman is in talks to star in Dreamworks’ film adaptation of the hit Broadway musical loosely based on the story of the Supremes. It’s not clear whether Beyoncé would play the lead role of Deena, the Diana Ross-inspired character, or the flashier role of Effie, who gets to sing the showstopping ”And I Am Telling You I Am Not Going” number that made a star of Jennifer Holliday. Kinsey writer-director Bill Condon, who was nominated for an Oscar for his screenplay for Chicago, is writing and directing Dreamgirls, which he hopes to shoot this fall in Los Angeles.
Posted April 11 2005 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Lupita Nyong'o in talks to star in sci-fi thriller 'Intelligent Life'
- 'Orange Is the New Black' star Taryn Manning is suing New York City over 2014 arrest
- 'Taxi Driver' turns 40: Five ways the movie affected pop culture
- Billy Eichner's trailer was hit by a truck while he was inside
- ZZ Top's Billy Gibbons to star in Discovery pilot 'Rockin' Roadsters'
- 'The Flash' star Danielle Panabaker teases Killer Frost's icy Earth-2 debut
- Jacob Tremblay continues to be charming, poses with Sylvester Stallone