It was probably destiny that Beyoncé would take a starring role in a movie version of Dreamgirls. Variety confirms what’s been rumored for months: that the Destiny’s Child frontwoman is in talks to star in Dreamworks’ film adaptation of the hit Broadway musical loosely based on the story of the Supremes. It’s not clear whether Beyoncé would play the lead role of Deena, the Diana Ross-inspired character, or the flashier role of Effie, who gets to sing the showstopping ”And I Am Telling You I Am Not Going” number that made a star of Jennifer Holliday. Kinsey writer-director Bill Condon, who was nominated for an Oscar for his screenplay for Chicago, is writing and directing Dreamgirls, which he hopes to shoot this fall in Los Angeles.
Posted April 11 2005 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Q-Tip announces final A Tribe Called Quest album
- 'The Walking Dead': Negan's brutal kill scene recreated with Legos
- JoJo honors Selena with 'Dreaming of You' cover in hometown
- 'Supernatural': Ackles, Padalecki discuss the effects of Mary's choice
- 'Pitch' EP explains the heartbreaking reveal behind the premiere twist
- Bryan Cranston performs dramatic reading of 'Shout Out to My Ex'
- Stephen Colbert scolds Run the Jewels for suggestive new Halloween song