It was probably destiny that Beyoncé would take a starring role in a movie version of Dreamgirls. Variety confirms what’s been rumored for months: that the Destiny’s Child frontwoman is in talks to star in Dreamworks’ film adaptation of the hit Broadway musical loosely based on the story of the Supremes. It’s not clear whether Beyoncé would play the lead role of Deena, the Diana Ross-inspired character, or the flashier role of Effie, who gets to sing the showstopping ”And I Am Telling You I Am Not Going” number that made a star of Jennifer Holliday. Kinsey writer-director Bill Condon, who was nominated for an Oscar for his screenplay for Chicago, is writing and directing Dreamgirls, which he hopes to shoot this fall in Los Angeles.
Posted April 11 2005 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Big Sean's 'Play No Games' video is a spot-on parody of 'Martin'
- Floyd Mayweather, Katy Perry top Forbes' Celebrity 100 list
- Vertigo comic book movies headed to New Line
- Marvel’s 'Ant-Man' L.A. premiere livestream: Watch the red carpet arrivals here at 9 ET/6 PT
- Chris Pratt as Jason Statham in now-surfaced 'SNL' deleted sketch
- Everything you need to know about 'Magic Mike XXL,' in chart form
- 27 TV faves you forgot were in 'Seinfeld' episodes
- 'X-Files' returns: New EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2005: How buzziest projects panned out
- 'Survivor' cast thanks YOU for Second Chances in new pics
- 'Ant-Man': 7 EW exclusive new character posters
- Rita Ora, Matthew, Darren & Jennifer, Brandy & More!