Corporations use all sorts of gimmickry to boost the bottom line, and The Corporation, the lucid, incendiary Canadian doc about our planet’s ”dominant institution” recognizes that two can play that game. Perversely assembled like a boardroom demonstration, the movie posits the cunning thesis that were a corporation a ”legal person” — as post?Civil War entities actually declared themselves by exploiting an ambiguity in the 14th Amendment — that person, by scientific diagnosis, would be a classic psychopath. The grim sarcasm isn’t lost on writer Joel Bakan and directors Jennifer Abbott and Mark Achbar, who weave examples of grotesque malfeasance (IBM’s collusion with Nazi Germany, the dehumanization of sweatshop employees) with wry Orwellian forewarning (the patenting of human genes, for instance, has already begun). Yet they conclude by offering us Davids a formula for coexisting with, if not slaying, our profit-obsessed Goliaths. Chiseled down from 450 hours, the movie feels some-what annotated, but the EXTRAS, generously spread over two discs, include deleted footage, filmmaker Q&As, Web references, and more than five hours of additional interview stock, with scores of experts as disparate as Michael Moore and right-wing economist Milton Friedman.
The Corporation Corporations use all sorts of gimmickry to boost the bottom line, and The Corporation, the lucid, incendiary Canadian doc about our...The CorporationDocumentaryPT145MUnrated Corporations use all sorts of gimmickry to boost the bottom line, and The Corporation, the lucid, incendiary Canadian doc about our...2005-04-11Zeitgeist Films
Genre: Documentary; Director: Jennifer Abbott, Mark Achbar; Runtime (in minutes): 145; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: Zeitgeist Films
Posted April 11 2005 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Empire': Behind the scenes at EW's photo shoot
- Skrillex + Diplo release Jack U debut
- 'Empire' star Jussie Smollett on the power of Jamal's coming-out
- 'Focus' aims to lift box office crown from 'Fifty Shades of Grey'
- Bruce Willis indie-thriller 'Wake' halts production due to lack of funding
- 'How to Get Away with Murder' creator on season 1 success, season 2 ideas
- Catwoman comes out as bisexual in comic
- 'Empire': New EW cast portraits and behind-the-scenes photos
- 'Dancing with the Stars': Sizing up the season 20 cast
- 'Parks' 2017: What we embrace/dread in world of tomorrow
- Oscars 2015: EW exclusive rehearsal photos
- Oscars 2015 backstage: EW all-access photo pass
- Taylor, Rita & Orlando, Amanda and More!