Sa-weet! In his second story collection, The Evil B.B. Chow, the author of last year’s nonfiction hit Candyfreak delivers a lively Whitman’s Sampler of off-beat tales worth savoring — if you don’t devour the entire dozen in one sitting. Steve Almond joyfully darts from a tart sketch of pomo romance (”The Evil B.B. Chow”) to a crushing (quite literally) coming-of-age story (”I Am as I Am”) to a bittersweet weepie (”Summer, as in Love”) without losing his dark, rich wit. There are a few sour patches: A lewdly titled rant about a now-on-trial pop star (”The Idea of Michael Jackson’s D—”) is already stale, while a satirical faux-mance between Abe Lincoln and Frederick Douglass (”Lincoln, Arisen”) is just plain tasteless.
The Evil B.B. Chow Sa-weet! In his second story collection, The Evil B.B. Chow, the author of last year's nonfiction hit Candyfreak...The Evil B.B. ChowShort Stories, FictionSteve Almond Sa-weet! In his second story collection, The Evil B.B. Chow, the author of last year's nonfiction hit Candyfreak...2005-04-11Algonquin Books
Genre: Short Stories, Fiction; Author: Steve Almond; Publisher: Algonquin Books
Posted January 17 2015 — 6:16 AM EST
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- Five Broadway tickets to snag before Tony nominations make it impossible
- 'Star Wars': 5 revelations from Carrie Fisher at Celebration Q&A
- 'Batman v Superman' trailer is here; official release by Zack Snyder follows leak
- Never-before-seen passage from Madeleine L'Engle's 'A Wrinkle in Time' found
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Olivia Wilde, Brad Paisley, Brandy Norwood & More!