Sa-weet! In his second story collection, The Evil B.B. Chow, the author of last year’s nonfiction hit Candyfreak delivers a lively Whitman’s Sampler of off-beat tales worth savoring — if you don’t devour the entire dozen in one sitting. Steve Almond joyfully darts from a tart sketch of pomo romance (”The Evil B.B. Chow”) to a crushing (quite literally) coming-of-age story (”I Am as I Am”) to a bittersweet weepie (”Summer, as in Love”) without losing his dark, rich wit. There are a few sour patches: A lewdly titled rant about a now-on-trial pop star (”The Idea of Michael Jackson’s D—”) is already stale, while a satirical faux-mance between Abe Lincoln and Frederick Douglass (”Lincoln, Arisen”) is just plain tasteless.
The Evil B.B. Chow Sa-weet! In his second story collection, The Evil B.B. Chow, the author of last year's nonfiction hit Candyfreak...The Evil B.B. ChowShort Stories, FictionSteve Almond Sa-weet! In his second story collection, The Evil B.B. Chow, the author of last year's nonfiction hit Candyfreak...2005-04-11Algonquin Books
Genre: Short Stories, Fiction; Author: Steve Almond; Publisher: Algonquin Books
Posted April 11 2005 — 12:00 AM EDT
- See Melissa McCarthy and Paul Feig get batty in 'Spy' Blu-ray clip
- Ellen Pompeo: 'Grey's Anatomy' doesn't need McDreamy
- Tom Hardy brought his dog to the premiere of 'Legend'
- Just how well do you know 'Xena: Warrior Princess'?
- A-trak looks back on Fool's Gold Day Off's 5th birthday
- Jimmy Kimmel makes peace with gamers after week-long feud
- Joan Rivers remembered during special episode of 'Fashion Police'
- How three worlds collided for the Shondaland cast shoot: See the exclusive photos
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Tom Hardy, Alessandra Ambrósio, Bindi Irwin & More!