Credit Jonathan Mahler for re-creating New York City’s annus horribilis/mirabilis, 1977, in an expansion of his New York Times Magazine cover stories on that year’s long, hot summer called Ladies and Gentlemen, The Bronx is Burning. But first, you have to wade through a series of biographical digressions researched and rendered in the manner of a term paper. Because Mahler was an 8-year-old Californian in 1977, he relies on other sources, leaving us New Yorkers there at the time free to carp over the mistakes (Bernie Tebbets was actually named Birdie) and misconceptions (the streets outside One Fifth Avenue were hardly ”dirty” and ”deserted”). Some of the accounts, especially of the blackout and subsequent looting of Bushwick, are riveting, but he ultimately fails to make the case that Reggie Jackson saved the city by leading the Yankees to a World Series victory over the Los Angeles Dodgers.
Ladies and Gentleman, The Bronx is Burning Credit Jonathan Mahler for re-creating New York City's annus horribilis/mirabilis, 1977, in an expansion of his New York Times Magazine cover...Ladies and Gentleman, The Bronx is BurningHistorical Fiction, NonfictionJonathan Mahler Credit Jonathan Mahler for re-creating New York City's annus horribilis/mirabilis, 1977, in an expansion of his New York Times Magazine cover...2005-04-11Farrar, Straus & Giroux
Genre: Historical Fiction, Nonfiction; Author: Jonathan Mahler; Publisher: Farrar, Straus & Giroux
Posted April 11 2005 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Now's your chance to see 'Mad Max: Fury Road' in IMAX theaters
- Obama to honor Stephen King, Sally Field with National Medals of Arts
- Queen Elizabeth is a huge fan of 'Downton Abbey'
- You can binge all of TNT's new show 'Public Morals' — only on Labor Day weekend
- New 'Batman v Superman' pics show Wonder Woman, the Batmobile
- 'Star Wars: Aftermath': Finding Han Solo for a quick galactic run
- Kanye West sends Taylor Swift flowers after the 2015 VMAs
- Force Friday: See Hasbro's 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' toys
- How three worlds collided for the Shondaland cast shoot: See the exclusive photos
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- Johnny Depp, Gabrielle Union, Karlie Kloss & More!