Credit Jonathan Mahler for re-creating New York City’s annus horribilis/mirabilis, 1977, in an expansion of his New York Times Magazine cover stories on that year’s long, hot summer called Ladies and Gentlemen, The Bronx is Burning. But first, you have to wade through a series of biographical digressions researched and rendered in the manner of a term paper. Because Mahler was an 8-year-old Californian in 1977, he relies on other sources, leaving us New Yorkers there at the time free to carp over the mistakes (Bernie Tebbets was actually named Birdie) and misconceptions (the streets outside One Fifth Avenue were hardly ”dirty” and ”deserted”). Some of the accounts, especially of the blackout and subsequent looting of Bushwick, are riveting, but he ultimately fails to make the case that Reggie Jackson saved the city by leading the Yankees to a World Series victory over the Los Angeles Dodgers.
Ladies and Gentleman, The Bronx is Burning Credit Jonathan Mahler for re-creating New York City's annus horribilis/mirabilis, 1977, in an expansion of his New York Times Magazine cover...Ladies and Gentleman, The Bronx is BurningHistorical Fiction, NonfictionJonathan Mahler Credit Jonathan Mahler for re-creating New York City's annus horribilis/mirabilis, 1977, in an expansion of his New York Times Magazine cover...2005-04-11Farrar, Straus & Giroux
Genre: Historical Fiction, Nonfiction; Author: Jonathan Mahler; Status: In Season; Publisher: Farrar, Straus & Giroux
Posted April 11 2005 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Kanye West tweets apologies to Beck and Bruno Mars
- 'Agents of SHIELD' unveils new poster art: Here's 'Aftershocks'
- Elizabeth Hurley gets slap happy in 'Royals' clip: First Look
- Bruce Willis indie-thriller Wake halts production due to lack of funding
- Catwoman comes out as bisexual in new issue of comic book
- 'Grey's Anatomy': What's next for Amelia and Owen?
- Bill Cosby faces new sexual assault claim
- 'Empire': New EW cast portraits and behind-the-scenes photos
- 'Dancing with the Stars': Sizing up the season 20 cast
- 'Parks' 2017: What we embrace/dread in world of tomorrow
- Oscars 2015: EW exclusive rehearsal photos
- Oscars 2015 backstage: EW all-access photo pass
- Taylor, Rita & Orlando, Amanda and More!