The sixth CD On My Way to Absence from Seattle’s musical Steinbeck opens with a shooting and ends with a burial. In the middle, widows weep, lovers split, and friendships go rancid with resentment. Other singer-songwriters might slather on the strings, but Damien Jurado — a gifted storyteller with an unsentimental eye for detail — makes minimalism his m.o. The songs are bare as winter trees, built from brittle guitars and crackling percussion. When they finally erupt — as ”Icicle” does — the contrast makes the combustion arresting.
On My Way to Absence The sixth CD On My Way to Absence from Seattle's musical Steinbeck opens with a shooting and ends with a burial. In the middle, widows...On My Way to Absence The sixth CD On My Way to Absence from Seattle's musical Steinbeck opens with a shooting and ends with a burial. In the middle, widows...2005-04-11
Lead Performer: Damien Jurado; Producer (group): Secretly Canadian
Posted April 11 2005 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Iggy Azalea calls out sexist media after Britney Spears tweets
- See the explosive teaser trailer for 'London Has Fallen'
- See an exclusive new look at 'Fear the Walking Dead'
- Everything you need to know about EW's Comic-Con 2015 coverage
- 'Tank Girl' director to helm 'Doctor Who' season finale
- Someone put Nicolas Cage's face on every 'Game of Thrones' character
- How 'Terminator: Genisys' re-created 1984 Arnold Schwarzenegger for the summer's coolest fight scene
- 27 TV faves you forgot were in 'Seinfeld' episodes
- 'X-Files': David Duchovny, Gillian Anderson portraits
- Comic-Con 2005: How buzziest projects panned out
- 'Survivor' cast thanks YOU for Second Chances in new pics
- 'Ant-Man': 7 EW exclusive new character posters
- Lupita Nyong'o, Amber Heard, Rosario Dawson & More!