The sixth CD On My Way to Absence from Seattle’s musical Steinbeck opens with a shooting and ends with a burial. In the middle, widows weep, lovers split, and friendships go rancid with resentment. Other singer-songwriters might slather on the strings, but Damien Jurado — a gifted storyteller with an unsentimental eye for detail — makes minimalism his m.o. The songs are bare as winter trees, built from brittle guitars and crackling percussion. When they finally erupt — as ”Icicle” does — the contrast makes the combustion arresting.
On My Way to Absence The sixth CD On My Way to Absence from Seattle's musical Steinbeck opens with a shooting and ends with a burial. In the middle, widows...On My Way to Absence The sixth CD On My Way to Absence from Seattle's musical Steinbeck opens with a shooting and ends with a burial. In the middle, widows...2005-04-11
Lead Performer: Damien Jurado; Producer (group): Secretly Canadian
Posted April 11 2005 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Homeland' elects 'House of Cards' actress as new president
- WATCH: John Krasinski comforts Margo Martindale in 'The Hollars' clip
- 'Elementary': 'True Blood' star to play Sherlock canon character
- New video examines 'Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children'
- WATCH: A baby shower goes wrong in exclusive 'Killer Party' trailer
- Frightened Rabbit reveal why they don't want to play stadiums
- The Ice Bucket Challenge helped fund the discovery of a new ALS gene
- 'Planet of the Apes': See the Famous Faces Behind the Makeup
- Toronto Film Festival 2016: See First Look Images From This Year's Lineup
- 'One Tree Hill': Where Are They Now?
- 'Little Miss Sunshine': Where Are They Now?
- 'Harry Potter and the Cursed Child': 22 Magical Photos
- Comic-Con 2016: Celebs at the Biggest Day 4 Panels