One of the characters in Mo Hayder’s dazzling The Devil of Nanking tries this last trick, and soon his entrails are strung through the trees like party streamers. In this exceedingly creepy book, Hayder’s third, the diabolically gifted British author spins a fascinating mystery from the legacy of Japanese atrocities during World War II. Grey, a troubled young Englishwoman, comes to Tokyo to track down an elderly Chinese professor, Shi Chongming, who is rumored to have film footage of particularly grisly Japanese war crimes. Chongming makes her a deal: Grey can screen the film after she infiltrates the inner circle of an octogenarian gangster whose security chief, the aforementioned Nurse, wears stiletto heels and pencil skirts, and does her best work with a butcher knife. Hayder alternates between Chongming’s wrenching account of his experiences in 1930s Nanking and Grey’s unwholesome adventures as a hostess in contemporary Tokyo, the two narratives becoming more and more engrossing as they gradually, ghoulishly intertwine.
The Devil of NankingOne of the characters in Mo Hayder's dazzling The Devil of Nanking tries this last trick, and soon his entrails are strung through the...The Devil of NankingMystery and Thriller, FictionMo HayderOne of the characters in Mo Hayder's dazzling The Devil of Nanking tries this last trick, and soon his entrails are strung through the...2005-04-13Grove
Genre: Mystery and Thriller, Fiction; Author: Mo Hayder; Publisher: Grove
Posted April 13 2005 — 12:00 AM EDT
- James Bay adds some tambourine to Rihanna, Kanye West's 'FourFiveSeconds'
- Talk about a Revolution: 'TURN's showrunner on season 2 and the new poster
- Constance Wu of 'Fresh Off the Boat' opens up about the show's controversial start
- Bill Cosby accuser tells her story
- Kelela and Arca team up for the gorgeous future-R&B track 'A Message'
- Elizabeth Henstridge talks 'Agents of SHIELD'...while playing 'Mario Kart'
- Modest Mouse share 'Of Course We Know,' announce tour dates