One of the characters in Mo Hayder’s dazzling The Devil of Nanking tries this last trick, and soon his entrails are strung through the trees like party streamers. In this exceedingly creepy book, Hayder’s third, the diabolically gifted British author spins a fascinating mystery from the legacy of Japanese atrocities during World War II. Grey, a troubled young Englishwoman, comes to Tokyo to track down an elderly Chinese professor, Shi Chongming, who is rumored to have film footage of particularly grisly Japanese war crimes. Chongming makes her a deal: Grey can screen the film after she infiltrates the inner circle of an octogenarian gangster whose security chief, the aforementioned Nurse, wears stiletto heels and pencil skirts, and does her best work with a butcher knife. Hayder alternates between Chongming’s wrenching account of his experiences in 1930s Nanking and Grey’s unwholesome adventures as a hostess in contemporary Tokyo, the two narratives becoming more and more engrossing as they gradually, ghoulishly intertwine.
The Devil of NankingOne of the characters in Mo Hayder's dazzling The Devil of Nanking tries this last trick, and soon his entrails are strung through the...The Devil of NankingMystery and Thriller, FictionMo HayderOne of the characters in Mo Hayder's dazzling The Devil of Nanking tries this last trick, and soon his entrails are strung through the...2005-04-13Grove
Genre: Mystery and Thriller, Fiction; Author: Mo Hayder; Publisher: Grove
Posted April 13 2005 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'The Mummy': Tom Cruise, Annabelle Wallis pose for set photo
- 'Fast and Furious' cast congratulates Vin Diesel on Facebook milestone
- 'Teen Wolf' star Tyler Posey apologizes for 'Gay Street' Snapchat
- 'Harry Potter and the Cursed Child': Go inside the opening gala
- J.K. Rowling meets 'Harry Potter and the Cursed Child' cast in photo
- 'Fast and Furious 8': Dwayne Johnson dives for cover in new set video
- Kanye West on Apple's talks with Tidal: 'Let the kids have the music'