When a frowny-faced 10-year-old sneaks into Nicole Kidman’s posh apartment in Birth, she reacts the way any normal person would: with calm aloofness. And when he announces that he’s actually the reincarnation of her decade-dead husband, why, she becomes even more aloof! That’s pretty much what passes for human behavior in this initially absorbing, inevitably absurd mystery, in which we’re to believe that the wealthy denizens of Manhattan’s upper reaches are so frigid — or maybe so overly Paxilated — that they wouldn’t wig out over a creepy kid dredging up painful memories. To overcompensate for the shell-shocked dreariness, director Jonathan Glazer (Sexy Beast) pumps up Alexandre Desplat’s taut, lovely score to bombastic degrees and substitutes last-minute plot pileons for revelatory twists. They’re distracting gambits that will leave viewers hot and bothered?a state nowhere to be found in Birth’s implausibly stuffy setting. EXTRAS None, though perhaps, 10 years down the line, New Line will ”reincarnate” them on a bonus disc.
Genre: Romance, Mystery and Thriller; Starring: Cameron Bright, Nicole Kidman, Lauren Bacall, Anne Heche, Danny Huston; Director: Jonathan Glazer; Author: Jean-Claude Carriere, Jonathan Glazer; Release Date Limited: 10/29/2004; Status: In Season; Runtime (in minutes): 100; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: New Line Cinema
Posted April 18 2005 — 12:00 AM EDT
- That time Jon Stewart saved Bill Clinton from an awkward encounter
- Eddie Redmayne stuns in new posters for 'The Danish Girl'
- Walt Disney experts dismiss allegations he was anti-Semitic
- See the latest trailer for 'The Intern'
- John Oliver uses song to explain why Washington, D.C., should become a state
- David Byrne calls for streaming service transparency in op-ed
- Stars We Lost in 2015
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Sam Smith, Channing Tatum, Gwyneth Paltrow and More!