When a frowny-faced 10-year-old sneaks into Nicole Kidman’s posh apartment in Birth, she reacts the way any normal person would: with calm aloofness. And when he announces that he’s actually the reincarnation of her decade-dead husband, why, she becomes even more aloof! That’s pretty much what passes for human behavior in this initially absorbing, inevitably absurd mystery, in which we’re to believe that the wealthy denizens of Manhattan’s upper reaches are so frigid — or maybe so overly Paxilated — that they wouldn’t wig out over a creepy kid dredging up painful memories. To overcompensate for the shell-shocked dreariness, director Jonathan Glazer (Sexy Beast) pumps up Alexandre Desplat’s taut, lovely score to bombastic degrees and substitutes last-minute plot pileons for revelatory twists. They’re distracting gambits that will leave viewers hot and bothered?a state nowhere to be found in Birth’s implausibly stuffy setting. EXTRAS None, though perhaps, 10 years down the line, New Line will ”reincarnate” them on a bonus disc.
Genre: Romance, Mystery and Thriller; Starring: Cameron Bright, Nicole Kidman, Lauren Bacall, Anne Heche, Danny Huston; Director: Jonathan Glazer; Author: Jean-Claude Carriere, Jonathan Glazer; Release Date Limited: 10/29/2004; Runtime (in minutes): 100; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: New Line Cinema
Posted April 18 2005 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Bindi Irwin praises Ariel Winter's body confidence
- Garry Marshall's 'The Flamingo Kid' is going to be a stage musical
- Watch the exclusive teaser for 'Documentary Now!'
- Ice Cube to bring hip-hop 'Hollywood Squares' to VH1
- Mila Kunis bought her $90 wedding band on Etsy
- Director Edgar Wright shares his 1,000 favorite films
- Pink Floyd announce massive 27-disc collection covering 1965 to 1972
- 'Alice in Wonderland': Witticisms and Wisdom From the Disney Classic
- 'John Tucker Must Die': Where Are They Now?
- 15 Captivating International Crime Thrillers
- 'Planet of the Apes': See the Famous Faces Behind the Makeup
- Toronto Film Festival 2016: See First Look Images From This Year's Lineup
- 'One Tree Hill': Where Are They Now?