Marks never quite settles on a comfortable tone — sincerity or kitsch? — for her ”biography” of the famed fictional spokeswoman for Gold Medal Flour — Finding Betty Crocker. (Twenty-four years after her ”birth” in 1921, Betty Crocker was named the second-most-popular woman in America after Eleanor Roosevelt for her contributions to domestic tranquillity and efficient home-making.) And sometimes Marks’ transitional commentary sits like a bread loaf missing yeast. (”Some listeners clustered around the proverbial back fence to exchange gossip… .”) But the heartfelt letters Marks has collected, written with good manners by real people asking for real help and receiving it from the General Mills staff representing Ms. Crocker, are extraordinary and moving — a testament to trust well placed.
Finding Betty Crocker Marks never quite settles on a comfortable tone — sincerity or kitsch? — for her ''biography'' of the famed fictional spokeswoman for Gold...Finding Betty CrockerHistorical Fiction, NonfictionSusan Marks Marks never quite settles on a comfortable tone — sincerity or kitsch? — for her ''biography'' of the famed fictional spokeswoman for Gold...2005-04-18Simon & Schuster
Genre: Historical Fiction, Nonfiction; Author: Susan Marks; Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Posted April 18 2005 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Demi Lovato pays tribute to late father on anticipated fall album—exclusive details
- See the 'Halo 5' opening cinematic (with Nathan Fillion and Mike Colter)
- Eddie Redmayne becomes 'The Danish Girl' in film's first trailer
- Michael Fassbender rises to power in new 'Macbeth' trailer
- Janet Jackson kicks off world tour with new song featuring Missy Elliott
- Alison Mosshart details the Dead Weather's new album
- J.K. Rowling wishes James Sirius Potter a happy first day at Hogwarts
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Kendall Jenner, Jamie Dornan, Katie Holmes & More!