Marks never quite settles on a comfortable tone — sincerity or kitsch? — for her ”biography” of the famed fictional spokeswoman for Gold Medal Flour — Finding Betty Crocker. (Twenty-four years after her ”birth” in 1921, Betty Crocker was named the second-most-popular woman in America after Eleanor Roosevelt for her contributions to domestic tranquillity and efficient home-making.) And sometimes Marks’ transitional commentary sits like a bread loaf missing yeast. (”Some listeners clustered around the proverbial back fence to exchange gossip… .”) But the heartfelt letters Marks has collected, written with good manners by real people asking for real help and receiving it from the General Mills staff representing Ms. Crocker, are extraordinary and moving — a testament to trust well placed.
Finding Betty Crocker Marks never quite settles on a comfortable tone — sincerity or kitsch? — for her ''biography'' of the famed fictional spokeswoman for Gold...Finding Betty CrockerHistorical Fiction, NonfictionSusan Marks Marks never quite settles on a comfortable tone — sincerity or kitsch? — for her ''biography'' of the famed fictional spokeswoman for Gold...2005-04-18Simon & Schuster
Genre: Historical Fiction, Nonfiction; Author: Susan Marks; Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Posted April 18 2005 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Heidi Montag and Spencer Pratt discuss burning through millions
- WATCH: Lea Seydoux as Belle in exclusive 'Beauty and the Beast' trailer
- 'Mr. Robot': Does anyone actually like hallucination theory?
- Garth Brooks to launch SiriusXM channel with Ryman Auditorium show
- 'Pokémon Go' gets the Honest Trailer treatment
- Radiohead played 'Let Down' for first time in a decade
- James Corden's parents cover WWE Monday Night Raw
- 'Planet of the Apes': See the Famous Faces Behind the Makeup
- Toronto Film Festival 2016: See First Look Images From This Year's Lineup
- 'One Tree Hill': Where Are They Now?
- 'Little Miss Sunshine': Where Are They Now?
- 'Harry Potter and the Cursed Child': 22 Magical Photos
- Comic-Con 2016: Celebs at the Biggest Day 4 Panels