Marks never quite settles on a comfortable tone — sincerity or kitsch? — for her ”biography” of the famed fictional spokeswoman for Gold Medal Flour — Finding Betty Crocker. (Twenty-four years after her ”birth” in 1921, Betty Crocker was named the second-most-popular woman in America after Eleanor Roosevelt for her contributions to domestic tranquillity and efficient home-making.) And sometimes Marks’ transitional commentary sits like a bread loaf missing yeast. (”Some listeners clustered around the proverbial back fence to exchange gossip… .”) But the heartfelt letters Marks has collected, written with good manners by real people asking for real help and receiving it from the General Mills staff representing Ms. Crocker, are extraordinary and moving — a testament to trust well placed.
Finding Betty Crocker Marks never quite settles on a comfortable tone — sincerity or kitsch? — for her ''biography'' of the famed fictional spokeswoman for Gold...Finding Betty CrockerHistorical Fiction, NonfictionSusan Marks Marks never quite settles on a comfortable tone — sincerity or kitsch? — for her ''biography'' of the famed fictional spokeswoman for Gold...2005-04-18Simon & Schuster
Genre: Historical Fiction, Nonfiction; Author: Susan Marks; Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Posted January 17 2015 — 6:16 AM EST
- Casting Net: Courtney Love, Timothy Hutton, Giancarlo Esposito join James Franco's 'The Long Home'
- Nicki Minaj joins 'Barbershop 3' cast
- 'Forever' sneak peek: John Noble puts Henry to a test he nearly fails
- 'Late Show' sneak peek: President Obama, David Letterman make retirement plans
- 'The Flash': Iris confronts Barry with the truth
- Jada Pinkett Smith on Fish Mooney's fate as 'Gotham' wraps season 1
- Orlando Jones exits 'Sleepy Hollow'
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Britney Spears, Orlando Bloom, Solange & More!