In these uneasy times, is it proper to applaud a rousing old-fashioned adventure yarn that simmers with imperialist nostalgia? In the case of The Four Feathers the answer is yes. This beautifully mounted epic recounts how 19th-century officer Harry Faversham (John Clements), groomed from youth for a military career, abruptly resigns his post just as his company is about to ship off to quell an uprising in the Sudan. After being given four white feathers (signifying cowardice) from three comrades and his fiancée, the ostracized Faversham vanishes to Egypt, where he disguises himself as a mute native in order to infiltrate the rebel side. Unlike the muddled 2002 remake with Heath Ledger, the original fully explains the reasons behind Faversham’s resignation and stretches out the grueling rescue of a blinded mate (the sturdy Ralph Richardson), making his redemption infinitely more stirring. And with painterly battle scenes and sweeping, dusty desert vistas that predate David Lean’s Lawrence of Arabia, it’s also a film of dazzling visual grandeur.
The Four Feathers In these uneasy times, is it proper to applaud a rousing old-fashioned adventure yarn that simmers with imperialist nostalgia? In the case of The Four FeathersAction/AdventureLajos Biro, R.C. Sheriff, Arthur Wimperis In these uneasy times, is it proper to applaud a rousing old-fashioned adventure yarn that simmers with imperialist nostalgia? In the case of 2005-04-18
Genre: Action/Adventure; Starring: John Clements, Ralph Richardson; Director: Zoltan Korda; Author: Lajos Biro, R.C. Sheriff, Arthur Wimperis
Posted April 18 2005 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'The Light Between Oceans' gets Labor Day weekend release date
- Kiefer Sutherland gets hassled in exclusive clip from 'Forsaken'
- Great news for 'Kocktails with Khloé' fans
- 'Broad City' is messy as ever in first season 3 trailer
- See Paul McCartney create first-ever audio Mojis
- What To Watch Tonight: Bernie Sanders visits Stephen Colbert
- Protesters plan anti-Beyoncé rally outside NFL headquarters
- 30 Exclusive First Look Photos at the New Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- This Is What the Grammys Looked Like in 1996
- 'Beautiful Girls': Where Are They Now?
- 15 Musicians Who Banned Candidates From Using Their Songs
- See '90s Stars at the 1996 'Broken Arrow' Premiere
- 35 Tom Hiddleston Photos For His 35th Birthday