Charlotte Brontë made it clear that her brooding, Byronic Mr. Rochester in Jane Eyre wasn’t ”handsome or heroic-looking,” but casting the smooth Dalton as the gothic brute in this 11-episode BBC miniseries still works. Intensely tormented, the future Bond storms around a set straight out of a high school production — often to the point of caricature — but his smoldering does manage to convey why his child’s governess (a mousy yet limpid-eyed Clarke) loves him so. And while this dimly lit and eerily quiet (yes, those are birds chirping in the background of every scene) adaptation is a to-the-letter translation of Brontë’s text, its very clinging to the page results in some excruciatingly long scenes; a single swoony final kiss trumps an hour-long reconciliation any day. EXTRAS Dear Reader, there are none (although 50 unnecessary — and barely noticeable — minutes of originally edited-out footage have been sprinkled back in).
Jane Eyre (DVD - 2005) Charlotte Brontë made it clear that her brooding, Byronic Mr. Rochester in Jane Eyre wasn't ''handsome or heroic-looking,'' but...Jane Eyre (DVD - 2005)DramaAlexander Baron Charlotte Brontë made it clear that her brooding, Byronic Mr. Rochester in Jane Eyre wasn't ''handsome or heroic-looking,'' but...2005-04-18Jean HarveyBlanche YouinouJean Harvey, Blanche Youinou
Genre: Drama; Starring: Zelah Clarke, Timothy Dalton, Jean Harvey, Blanche Youinou; Director: Julian Amyes; Author: Alexander Baron
Posted April 18 2005 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Walking Dead' actor would love to play Spider-Man
- Hulk Hogan talks possible villain role in 'Expendables 4'
- Charter/Time Warner deal will affect 1 in 6 households
- Documentary to explore George Miller's attempted 'Justice League' movie
- 'Grace of Monaco' screenwriter live tweets Lifetime premiere
- A$AP Rocky dropped his new album at midnight
- Even Taylor Swift's mom thought it was 'Starbucks lovers'
- 15 scary movies we saw as kids... that still haunt our nightmares
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- George & Amal, Prince Harry, Ansel Elgort & More!