When MGM studio chief L.B. Mayer got really angry, he’d hurl himself to the floor and roll around on the rug. (For extra laughs, imagine a full-grown brat who looked, according to biographer Scott Eyman, ”like a very small, very charming white penguin.”) One director cracked that the ”L.B.” stood for ”Lousy Bastard.” Yet Louis B. Mayer was also a self-made movie genius who essentially invented the star system (he discovered Greta Garbo on a visit to Berlin) and, over 27 years, led MGM on the greatest run a studio has ever known. While Lion of Hollywood might lack ”Golden Age” polish, Eyman’s epic, 516-page bio builds adeptly on Mayer’s legend, casting him, in a fair but tender accounting, as trickier and more complex than most of the glossy films he made.
Lion of Hollywood When MGM studio chief L.B. Mayer got really angry, he'd hurl himself to the floor and roll around on the rug. (For extra laughs, imagine a ...Lion of HollywoodBiography, NonfictionScott Eyman When MGM studio chief L.B. Mayer got really angry, he'd hurl himself to the floor and roll around on the rug. (For extra laughs, imagine a ...2005-04-18Simon & Schuster
Genre: Biography, Nonfiction; Author: Scott Eyman; Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Posted April 18 2005 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Disney eyes live-action 'Prince Charming'
- Ezra Koenig of Vampire Weekend lands own Beats 1 Radio show
- 'Sesame Street': Sonia 'Maria' Manzano's 7 favorites
- 'Hannibal': No go at Netflix, Amazon
- Caitlyn Jenner gives empowering talk in new 'I Am Cait' trailer
- Michael Eisner clarifies comment that beautiful, funny women are 'impossible to find'
- Sluggish Fourth of July box office no picnic for Hollywood
- Channing Tatum in 'Magic Mike XXL' leads our quip picks
- Reel-to-real couples: 12 relationships on-screen and off
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- Kendall Jenner, Liv Tyler, Jessie J & More!