There are two kinds of God-fearing entertainment consumers in this world: those who believe the Lord is okay with them reading Stephen King and the like, and those who don’t. For the latter, there’s Christian-publishing phenom Frank Peretti. The author has his strengths (1986’s This Present Darkness was a sleep-with-the-light-on page-turner), but Monster is as dumb as a box of hair. It’s about bigfoot. Seriously: bigfoot. A grunty, stinky mess of them who abduct a stuttering woman named Beck. While her husband searches for her, Beck develops a deeper appreciation for the mysterious, misunderstood, murderous beasts. (Of course she does.) Call it Sasquatch Stockholm syndrome. Monster is flabby and not very thrilling, filled with undercooked attacks on evolution (the book’s only distinguishing ”Christian” trait, beyond some bland God-speak) and curious notions about female empowerment. To paraphrase Genesis, it is not good.
Monster There are two kinds of God-fearing entertainment consumers in this world: those who believe the Lord is okay with them reading Stephen King and the...MonsterFictionFrank Peretti There are two kinds of God-fearing entertainment consumers in this world: those who believe the Lord is okay with them reading Stephen King and the...2005-04-18Westbow
Genre: Fiction; Author: Frank Peretti; Publisher: Westbow
Posted April 18 2005 — 12:00 AM EDT
- President Obama and Vice head to prison in 'Fixing the System' trailer
- Chris Messina in talks to play Ben Affleck's best friend in 'Live By Night'
- 'Minions' clears $1 billion at the worldwide box office
- Justin Bieber to spend several mornings with you on the 'Today' show
- 'Doubt': 'Good Wife' actor to star opposite Katherine Heigl
- The first trans director of 'Transparent' on his experiences with the show
- Miley Cyrus reveals what a rainbow tastes like during Tumblr Q&A
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Darius Rucker, Paris Hilton, Nick & Pharrell and More!