”I live my life or I end my life with this project,” renegade director Werner Herzog vowed on the set of his jungle epic Fitzcarraldo, in which a 19th-century iconoclast attempts to drag a 320-ton steamship over a steep Amazonian landmass. Herzog’s death-defying endeavor (executed with the help of an indigenous Indian tribe, not special effects) is the basis for Burden of Dreams, Les Blank’s lyric chronicle of the film’s four-year evolution. Regarded as a standard-bearer for making-of pictures — largely because Herzog proved a more captivating study in obsession than his subject — Dreams pairs nicely with Herzog’s own introspective My Best Fiend, about Fitzcarraido’s madman star, Klaus Kinski. Blank’s unobtrusive style — ”You don’t push your subject,” he commentates, ”you wait and wait and wait” — observes nature’s wrath as a metaphor for artistic torment, culminating with Herzog pontificating, ”The birds here don’t sing, they just screech in pain.” EXTRAS In a 2005 video interview, Herzog reasserts his gloomy worldview; but Blank’s 1980 short Werner Herzog Eats His Shoe — a leather boot served with onions, garlic, and hot sauce — adds a solid helping of levity.
Burden of Dreams ''I live my life or I end my life with this project,'' renegade director Werner Herzog vowed on the set of his jungle epic Fitzcarraldo, in...Burden of DreamsDocumentary ''I live my life or I end my life with this project,'' renegade director Werner Herzog vowed on the set of his jungle epic Fitzcarraldo, in...2005-05-09
Genre: Documentary; Director: Les Blank
Posted May 9 2005 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Comic-Con 2016: Batman Comics writers share their unique backgrounds
- Comic-Con 2016 Day 2: See cinemagraph portraits of the stars
- 'Voltron: Legendary Defender' season 2 coming this year
- 'Arrow' books 'Blindspot' star as Ragman — exclusive
- Comic-Con: 'South Park' creators won't do another Pokémon episode
- Comic-Con 2016: ‘Scream Queens’ boss teases ‘bloodier and funnier’ season 2
- LISTEN: Jamie Lee Curtis: ‘Everyone is an a—hole' on 'Scream Queens'