They owe a lot to two previous funkily clad clans — the Monkees and the Bradys — but the Partridges broke significant TV ground with their single matriarch (Shirley Jones), teen heart-throb (David Cassidy), and precocious wiseacre (Danny Bonaduce) in The Partridge Family: The Complete First Season. There’s no finer display of the show’s unique appeal than a so-wrong-it’s-right first-season ep: Richard Pryor and Lou Gossett Jr. play inner-city entrepreneurs whose club is rescued from thugs when Mrs. P sweet-talks the fuzz, Keith pens an ”Afro song,” and Danny summons Panther types for backup. EXTRAS Bonaduce’s dishy commentary (on the ever-dieting Susan Dey picking at a bowl of strawberries and cream: ”There’s something you almost never see — Susan Dey eating”); Jones’ sweet but, alas, not-so-dishy commentary; two episodes of the painful Jetsons rip-off, Partridge Family 2200 A.D.; and two docs — one on the hired hands who composed, played, and sang (turns out Cassidy and Jones were the only Partridges with pipes), and another including such bombshells as Mom being originally written as TV’s first divorcée!
Posted May 9 2005 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Nearly 8000 Starbucks stores are now 'Pokémon Go' Gyms and PokéStops
- Megan Mullally: 'There is a very good chance' for 'Will & Grace' reboot
- 'Pitch' star Kylie Bunbury makes plea for season 2
- 'Pitch' boss on Fox baseball drama's struggle and future
- Meghan Trainor cancels tour stops for vocal rest
- President Obama to appear on 'The Daily Show'
- Actor Judge Reinhold arrested in Texas on disorderly conduct charge
- The 20 Best (And 5 Worst!) TV Shows of 2016
- EW's 2016 Entertainers of the Year
- The 20 Best Movies of 2016
- Finding 'La La Land': Director Damien Chazelle's 15 Influences for His New Musical Romance
- 38 Photos of Ian Somerhalder For His 38th Birthday
- 'The Bachelor' Season 21: Meet Nick's 30 Bachelorettes