Toby Keith’s 13th album, Honkytonk University, wisely forgoes the rambunctious flag-waving of recent years to look deeper at the events and sounds that informed his Oklahoma childhood. The title track, set to a ragged Waylon Jennings beat, recalls his career education as a boy in his grandma’s nightclub. Throw in some perfect heartbreak ballads and the charming loser duet ”She Ain’t Hooked on Me No More,” performed with Merle Haggard, and you’ve got a solid old-school effort with a Ph.D. in pain.
Honkytonk University Toby Keith's 13th album, Honkytonk University, wisely forgoes the rambunctious flag-waving of recent years to look deeper at the...Honkytonk UniversityCountry Toby Keith's 13th album, Honkytonk University, wisely forgoes the rambunctious flag-waving of recent years to look deeper at the...2005-05-16
Genre: Country; Lead Performer: Toby Keith
Posted May 16 2005 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Shonda Rhimes blasts Bill O'Reilly: 'Try slavery, Bill'
- '20th Century Women' gets New York Film Festival centerpiece premiere
- 'Bachelorette': Aaron Rodgers breaks silence on brother Jordan's run
- Heidi Montag and Spencer Pratt discuss burning through millions
- WATCH: Lea Seydoux as Belle in exclusive 'Beauty and the Beast' trailer
- 'Mr. Robot': Does anyone actually like hallucination theory?
- Garth Brooks to launch SiriusXM channel with Ryman Auditorium show
- 'Planet of the Apes': See the Famous Faces Behind the Makeup
- Toronto Film Festival 2016: See First Look Images From This Year's Lineup
- 'One Tree Hill': Where Are They Now?
- 'Little Miss Sunshine': Where Are They Now?
- 'Harry Potter and the Cursed Child': 22 Magical Photos
- Comic-Con 2016: Celebs at the Biggest Day 4 Panels