Toby Keith’s 13th album, Honkytonk University, wisely forgoes the rambunctious flag-waving of recent years to look deeper at the events and sounds that informed his Oklahoma childhood. The title track, set to a ragged Waylon Jennings beat, recalls his career education as a boy in his grandma’s nightclub. Throw in some perfect heartbreak ballads and the charming loser duet ”She Ain’t Hooked on Me No More,” performed with Merle Haggard, and you’ve got a solid old-school effort with a Ph.D. in pain.
Honkytonk University Toby Keith's 13th album, Honkytonk University, wisely forgoes the rambunctious flag-waving of recent years to look deeper at the...Honkytonk UniversityCountry Toby Keith's 13th album, Honkytonk University, wisely forgoes the rambunctious flag-waving of recent years to look deeper at the...2005-05-16
Genre: Country; Lead Performer: Toby Keith
Posted May 16 2005 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Arthur Conan Doyle's estate is suing Miramax over 'Mr. Holmes'
- A$AP Rocky and Schoolboy Q shock with 'Electric Body'
- Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen aren't returning for Netflix's 'Fuller House'
- Two more (unofficial) Drake songs leak, including Tinashe collaboration
- Bask in '90s nostalgia with this a ca-mazing 'Boy Meets World' medley
- Eminem to executive produce 'Southpaw' soundtrack: Hear a sneak peek of his new song
- Michael B. Jordan: Why I'm Torching the color line in 'Fantastic Four'
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion (so far)
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 10 hottest tours
- Marion Cotillard, Jason Derulo, Serena Williams and More!