Golf-ball bear hunting, Wisconsin ear wiggles, and a superhero sidekick who’s more Waldo than Marvel comic idol — Nickelodeon’s suburban farce, The Adventures of Pete & Pete: Season One, about two siblings named Pete (the younger a salty troublemaker, the older a romantic observer of domestic inanities) possesses the oddball charm that drives current cult faves Arrested Development and Scrubs. Highlights of this eight-ep set: the insomniac’s bedtime protest in ”The Nightcrawlers,” the shop-class horror pastiche of ”Tool and Die,” and long-gone indie band Polaris’ dreamy theme song. EXTRAS Four specials and two shorts that launched the series. Commentary by the creative team recognizes that cynics may be unnerved by the quirky adults hanging around (the manic bus driver, the spandex-clad superhero), but it’s that whimsy that makes this dorky gem so endearing.
Posted May 23 2005 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Jon Favreau to direct Seth MacFarlane's space-set comedic drama 'Orville'
- Ariana Grande, Nicki Minaj are reuniting for another VMAs performance
- VMAs: DJ Khaled, Key and Peele, Jay Pharoah to cover show in lieu of host
- Christoph Waltz in talks for James Cameron's 'Alita: Battle Angel'
- 'Doctor Strange' recruits 'Community' creator Dan Harmon for script assist
- 'Fuller House': Candace Cameron Bure, NKOTB star recreate adorable photo
- Lifetime making Britney Spears biopic
- Flashback to the 2001 'Summer Catch' Premiere
- Fall Movie Preview 2016: 'Fantastic Beasts,' 'Rogue One,' and 76 Other Films
- Flashback to the 1996 MTV Video Music Awards
- See All of EW's Fall Movie Preview Covers
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your comedy nominees are...
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your drama nominees are...